Building windows, or is it okay to be dark?

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I am trying to keep the costs down. After looking at pallets available locally, they are not in good enough condition to build a lasting coop. I am going to have to build from new wood unless I find used wood around here that's worth getting. Anyway, so now I can't pay $300 for windows. I've raided craigslist for 4 months, but have yet to find any. Mom is unwilling to travel to Raliegh that has windows out of the wazoo. Anyway, does anyone have detailed plans and pictures of how to make windows. I want to have windows that are 1' high and 3' long. I know it is weird dimensions, but it would be ideal for my coop.

Also, as a side note-
I am wanting to know what plants I can put around the run and coop. I was wanting short shrubs or vines that grow quickly. The coop will be in sun from 7 o clock to 4 o clock, so they need to be light hardy. I know the chicks will eat them, that's okay. The coop set up is a LITTLE weird. There are two runs, one coop. This is just to use space to my advantage. The coop is 8 feet wide and deep. The runs will be 10 feet wide and 8 feet deep (5 feet high) One run on each side of the coop. I figured 2 rose bushes on each side, evenly spaced. Also some azaleas in between the roses. Possibly some impatiens to break it up a little. I would like a potted coleus by the front step.

ight is real important in the coop, but hay you don't have to spend no $300 for windows that's way tooooooo high, try to find some windo was in display or a little used, even at HD and low's just ask you never know what you find.

about the plants, get you some arbovida little trees 4-5 ' tall some times you find them on sale for $20-to 25.

Omran

I need 6 windows that size. I figured for all of them it'd be 300 plus, not for one. Ooops for not explaining.

I have heard of those, I'll look into it. I just want something. This coop will be in a 40x60 run that is being used for dogs. It is 5' chainlink. We are trying to rehome our pit, as she is food aggressive, brother brought her home w/o permission. Hard to rehome a dog with aggression over anything. Right now it has crab grass. I want to get the yard cleaned out real good, even it out nice and neat, and then place down sod if the grass is really bad. I will plant the plants and put mulch down. I will mix in DE with the mulch to prevent bugs. Some trees would be nice. The only tree is in the other section of the dog yard, where the old man, a shepherd, stays He is 17, and hate to say it, WON'T die. He's been hit by a car, shot by old neighbor, ate ant poison, and finally mom took him from my uncle. He had heart worms when we got him, but is still strong.

Don't worry about the crabgrass, the chickens will eliminate it in less than a week. As for sod, forget that too, as it will end up being very expensive chicken greens. They will eat the leaves and dig up the roots.
It does not stand a chance unless you free range over a much larger area?
You ask, how big is big enough to if you want grass? Well, it depends on the number of birds, but I'd say big enough that they seldom run out of green leaves in front of them, and that by the time they do run out that the grass behind them has recovered and is producing green leaves again. It sort of depends on the number of birds, but I was amazed that my most recent run went from grassy to dirt in just 3 days. There is not a speck of green in it anymore and there probably never will be again unless I keep them off it and replant.

I used plexiglas from lowes. They have all different sizes and is not that expensive. I made 2 10"x8" windows and the 10"x8" sheets of plexiglas was $1.50 a piece.

making the window is fairly easy if you have a table saw and some basic skills. it would be easier to find some window panels if you could change your design requirements. you've picked an odd size. is there a Habitat store in your area ? building supply stores often have damaged units they would love to turn into cash.

Back
Top Bottom