Building your own incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KNAndrs, Sep 19, 2011.

1. KNAndrs

KNAndrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2011
    Superior, WI
    So I was thinking of hatching some eggs out to sell or swap for meat birds come spring.

From doing research I noticed a few things.

1. must have thermostat to regulate heat
    2. air circulation is a good thing
    3. some humidity is your friend.
    4. Rotating is mandatory
    5. don't let people knock the cord out of the wall

With all of this going on am I missing anything? do you have preferences for Thermostats? Any warnings for building your own?

Thanks,
    KEN

2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Your missing your light bulb, & a good box to put it all in, I would highly recomend a wafer thermostat & a wood box or styrofome cooler.

3. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Test run the set up and be willing to make adjustments to get everything working well. BEFORE eggs are set.

I plug my fan and WHT/light bulb into a powerstrip WITH A LIGHT to know with a glance power is on. YOu can use a nightlight plugged into the powerstrip as a monitor also.

Consider heat sinks to slow the effects of spikes in temperature. ie jars of water.

WHen doing your own wiring be thoughtful and wrap all exposed wires to avoid a zap of electricity. Use electricians tape.

I used the WHT 2 pole 90-? degrees from HOme Depot as it was readily available. THere are 2 methods of using thie. One is set very close to heat source, causing a quick on/off cycle. ANother is when using adeguate fans, locate the WHT further away for a slower cycling. THe most important factor is temperature must be maintained with in 1-2 degrees thru the on/off cycling.

PC fans with adaptors can be used; For my big cooler I bought a $6-7 desk fan with greater air flow.

Ventilation is very important as these chicks need gas exchange; they are living things and the need for gas exchange increases as the chicks grow.

Read all the old threads on construction, including Miss Prissy's on wiring.

I read a boat load; then felt I couldn't build a good one, used an LG, learned a great deal using THAT, and so made my own. Despite old eggs, Hurricane Irene, the first time using my own, I hatched 3 with 10 eggs in lockdown now (one cheaping).

It's not rocket science; just chick science!

Also, if you have a specific question. Many people here on BYC have built their own and will help out!! Love BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by