Built by my husband, kids and myself...... Kind of lol

Just be aware that chicken wire isn't predator proof, so if predators are a concern that's something to consider. Also, just out of curiosity, how do you maintain the run area?
Thanks!
I'm going to be crawling around in there quite a bit I'm sure. We do have kiddos to help out but we used what we had to build it and 4 ft posts for the run is what we had. :)

Thanks!
I'm going to be crawling around in there quite a bit I'm sure. We do have kiddos to help out but we used what we had to build it and 4 ft posts for the run is what we had. :)
If you ever needed to stand up comfortably for a good cleaning or raking or anything, you can simply cut along the top of the chicken wire to move it out of your way. Then refix it back together with baling wire or something. Like snip along 3 sides where you can just fold it back like a lid without having to take it all the way off. That's what i would do anyways if i needed to.

If you ever needed to stand up comfortably for a good cleaning or raking or anything, you can simply cut along the top of the chicken wire to move it out of your way. Then refix it back together with baling wire or something. Like snip along 3 sides where you can just fold it back like a lid without having to take it all the way off. That's what i would do anyways if i needed to.
That is a great idea!! Thank you.

Yes, that was how I managed it.
You're welcome! But i also have to point out that i agree with an comment above. The run isn't preditor proof and easily accessible both from under and through. Chicken wire is a very thin flimsy wire that raccoons and other things can easy outsmart. Large digging preditors could be under and out very quickly too. Chicken wire is pretty much just to keep chickens from getting out, not for keeping things from getting in. A thick gauge hardware cloth is best, along with it extending out from the run underground a couple of feet. Not only is it thicker, its also much smaller holes to keep out snakes, mice, and other small preditors or pests. Just for future references if you want to upgrade the security of the run one day.

Last edited:
You're welcome! But i also have to point out that i agree with a comment above. The run isn't preditor proof and easily accessible both from under and through. Chicken wire is a very thin flimsy wire that raccoons and other things can easy outsmart. Large digging preditors could be under and out very quickly too. Chicken wire is pretty much just to keep chickens from getting out, not for keeping things from getting in. A thick gauge hardware cloth is best, along with it extending out from the run underground a couple of feet. Not only is it thicker, its also much smaller holes to keep out snakes, mice, and other small preditors or pests. Just for future references if you want to upgrade the security of the run one day.
I have been thinking about the hardware cloth. I'll definitely check into it more! Thank you so much for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom