Built my coop/run and I'm so proud!

JustAileen

Songster
6 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Hi all, it's been a minute since I've been on this site, 2 years ago my (now ex) insisted we get rid of our ladies and I've been so focused on school since that I haven't had time to build a coop. Now, with some serious time off, and no annoying ex to complain about chicken poop I've had the time! We are limited to only a few ladies here in the suburbs, so I didn't want to do anything too large, and I wanted it somewhat portable so we could move the girls to new patches of grass every now and then. So I looked up A-frame tractors, and sort of mish-moshed them together with some modifications that I wanted. I learned the first time buying a solid ready-made coop about the things I DIDN'T want, and I also didn't want to import a ready made coop because we are at the very end of a serious Newcastle quarantine, so I decided to make it with the changes I wanted. I present: Our McMansion for our McNuggets! :D We don't have predator issues here (much anyway) and I made the coop lockdown ready for evenings for extra safety, so I felt OK using the plasticky hardware cloth. The ladder is retractable to prevent anything from getting up in the coop at night, and the doors hinge out of the way for easy cleaning. All in all this cost me about $200 to build, and has plenty of space for 6 chickens. (it is better ventilated than it looks, the ends have mesh covered windows and the doors have about an inch of ventilation above them.) Next up is painting of course, but I'm going to let my hands get a rest before I do that. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 2931ABC8-13BE-4B41-82B5-E467C68B1009.jpeg
    2931ABC8-13BE-4B41-82B5-E467C68B1009.jpeg
    857.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 5FD396D3-6B9E-4823-968E-041148CC0A7C.jpeg
    5FD396D3-6B9E-4823-968E-041148CC0A7C.jpeg
    938.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi all, it's been a minute since I've been on this site, 2 years ago my (now ex) insisted we get rid of our ladies and I've been so focused on school since that I haven't had time to build a coop. Now, with some serious time off, and no annoying ex to complain about chicken poop I've had the time! We are limited to only a few ladies here in the suburbs, so I didn't want to do anything too large, and I wanted it somewhat portable so we could move the girls to new patches of grass every now and then. So I looked up A-frame tractors, and sort of mish-moshed them together with some modifications that I wanted. I learned the first time buying a solid ready-made coop about the things I DIDN'T want, and I also didn't want to import a ready made coop because we are at the very end of a serious Newcastle quarantine, so I decided to make it with the changes I wanted. I present: Our McMansion for our McNuggets! :D We don't have predator issues here (much anyway) and I made the coop lockdown ready for evenings for extra safety, so I felt OK using the plasticky hardware cloth. The ladder is retractable to prevent anything from getting up in the coop at night, and the doors hinge out of the way for easy cleaning. All in all this cost me about $200 to build, and has plenty of space for 6 chickens. (it is better ventilated than it looks, the ends have mesh covered windows and the doors have about an inch of ventilation above them.) Next up is painting of course, but I'm going to let my hands get a rest before I do that. Thanks for looking!

Amazing!!!

Sorry, pragmatic trumps all.
What are the dimensions?
I don't see 6 full grown birds fitting in there.
Also see major leakage issues at the doors(tops and where they meet).
A-frame's are very hard to effectively ventilate and weather proof.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590500829453.png

Sorry, pragmatic trumps all.
What are the dimensions?
I don't see 6 full grown birds fitting in there.
Also see major leakage issues at the doors(tops and where they meet).
A-frame's are very hard to effectively ventilate and weather proof.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2160629
I agree with this.

Also, you may not have predators now but once your chickens are outside, they'll come. Predators dont usually hang around if there isnt a food source. You're providing a buffet for them and made it easy to get them.

I'm not new to chicken keeping, our only consistent predator here are hawks. The coop has an overhang at the top to direct water past the vent at the top of the door, and I will be adding weather stripping to the crack between the doors this week. The dimensions of the run are 6 feet by 10 feet. I live in a mountainous desert area in southern california, so rain isn't a super huge concern.

Back
Top Bottom