Built Purina hen house!

Thanks for the photos, i am thinking about folding a sheet of the clear corigated plastic iver the top of the pyramid as a bit of a rain/snow shield. Do the birds care?

We started with the Purina coop plans... a few modifications later... we were done. Love Purina Coops!!
Easy plans, easy to build, awesome design - and affordable!! Perfect for a backyard or small hobby farm.

Looks great - this is the basic plan that we are thinking about expanding to.

A couple questions if you'll allow them:

1. What type of fencing is being used on the side of the "A-frame" as well as under the coop?

2. Are the 4 footer-posts of the coop (i.e. the legs) driven into the group, or is the whole coop just sitting on the surface (with minimal anchorage)?

3. Was there anything put under the run (wire apron, etc) to prevent predators from digging under during the day?

4. Is there an access door so you can get into the run in case you need to clean it out?

Thanks for sharing!

-Okt

Thanks!

To answer your questions:
1. The side of our "A-frame" is two pieces of warehouse cages. Recycled for a new use!
2. 4x4 posts are from ground to roof. The coop is very stable.
3. Should have put the hardware wire apron around the run when we set it... We are doing it now. As everything, it is a PIA to go back around, instead of doing it right the first time!
4. The triangle at the end of the run is an access door. I need to bend over to rake out the run, but it is really not a big deal.

Thanks!

To answer your questions:
1. The side of our "A-frame" is two pieces of warehouse cages. Recycled for a new use!
2. 4x4 posts are from ground to roof. The coop is very stable.
3. Should have put the hardware wire apron around the run when we set it... We are doing it now. As everything, it is a PIA to go back around, instead of doing it right the first time!
4. The triangle at the end of the run is an access door. I need to bend over to rake out the run, but it is really not a big deal.

One follow up question - was all the wood that you used pressure treated? Or did you use any regular wood?

Thanks!

-Okt

I used treated 4x4s for the four corner posts, since they sit directly on the ground. The other wood you see in the photo of the frame is treated, also. The chickens only have access to the treated corner posts inside the coop, since the floor boards cover the treated lumber. I want my coop to last for many years and I have not had any pecking problems. Everything else they come in contact with is untreated.

Back
Top Bottom