Built the floating duck house....(PICS POSTED)

SandRun

Chirping
13 Years
Dec 19, 2007
Cincinnati
Well I bit the bullet and built the floating duck house with my Dad today. Took about 4 hours to build including painting, and about another 45 minutes to get it set in the pond. I took pictures of the process and will post them once I get them sorted out.....

Unfortunately the ducks don't seem to crazy about it, but I guess it takes time.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see the pictures!!

I bet the ducks start to love it pretty quickly. Just give 'em some time.

I'd like to see the pics also! We have been wondering how to have a house by our pond that the ducks can use while keeping our dog away from them - this sounds great.

Quote:
LOL...I'm sure one day they happen upon it and figure out what a great owner you are and love it, don't worry!

Can't wait to see pics.

They are blue swedes although I think one must have some cayuga or east indie blood in him cause he's black and his feathers have a green cast to them in the light. My other black one has no green cast.

Working on pics now

You just have to wait until they get curious enough to check it out. Better yet, give them the impression that you don't want them to go near it UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. That'll do it.
wink.png

OK here are 3 pics. I have more of the construction process but didn't want to overload the site too much. I'll also describe it's dimensions.

The base is 4'x5' (20ft square). The actual duck shelter is 3'x5' (15ft square). The front of the shelter is about 34" at the front 24" at the rear. The base is made of pressure treated 1"x6" since it's in the water. The floor and all sides are made of 7/16" OSB, and the wall studs are of 2"x2" pine, untreated. I wanted to shingle the roof, but didn't have enough shingles on hand, not to mention the additional weight. The whole thing stays afloat using, here it comes, nine 5 gallon buckets with lids screwed to the bottom of the floor. The roof is painted with interior/exterior paint, which I had around, and the walls and artwork paint is interior wall paint my Dad and I had sitting around doing nothing. Which leads to me to say if it hadn't been for my Dad this thing wouldn't have been completed in a month and wouldn't have stayed afloat. He is also the artist who painted the cat tail leaves. I basically designed it, which is to say I drew it on paper and recorded measurements, and screwed boards together where he told me to. It sits in a row of cat tails which are just now emerging so by June it should be well hidden in the cat tails.

DSC_0011.jpg

To be fair it is only staying afloat with six buckets here not nine. I weigh (at last check) 212 lbs.

DSC_0028.jpg

This is my kid (sporting his new Crocs) for scale, he's about 36" tall.

DSC_0030.jpg

This is it in its final position.

This pond is a bit under a 1/4 acre, and I have 6 Blue Swedish ducks. It's occasionally visited by 2 wild Mallards, but they aren't permanent residents. A Blue Heron also pulls out the occasional Bluegill. If anyone has any questions or constructive criticsm let me know.

Back
Top Bottom