Bullied Blue Cochin head split open, deep gash

ChickenLord33

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Our Blue Cochin got beat up by one of our Ameraucanas today and it's the worst injury I've seen on a bullied chicken. The top of her head looks split open, about an inch in width and it looks like it's deep down to her skull! Not just a bloodied pecking but a deep split on the top of her head, showing the thick white of her meat split to what looks like her bone. When I went out there to put them in for the night it was bloody around the head but the actual gash looked like it had more of a clear fluid.

I isolated her in a our nursing coop and sprayed the gash with some disinfectant but I worry that it won't heal because its so deep and the skin sorta opens up on each side and doesn't stay closed depending how she sits. A human would have to get staples or stitches. She is acting normal, will eat, and drink, walks around normally etc.

Is there anything anybody could recommend to me? Should I keep spraying it with disinfectant? Should I rinse it out with anything first?? Should I use another product? 🙏

From your description of the wound, I am surprised that she is walking around, eating and drinking. Can you post a picture of the wound? What is the disinfectant you are using? I would not use peroxide, but saline, or a wound spray would be okay. Most would also use antibiotic ointment on the wound until healed. She probably needs to be kept separated, so other do not peck the wound. Do you have any idea why she was attacked?

From your description of the wound, I am surprised that she is walking around, eating and drinking. Can you post a picture of the wound? What is the disinfectant you are using? I would not use peroxide, but saline, or a wound spray would be okay. Most would also use antibiotic ointment on the wound until healed. She probably needs to be kept separated, so other do not peck the wound. Do you have any idea why she was attacked?
Thank you, I made a saline solution with 2 cups boiled distilled water and 1 tsp non-iodized salt that I'm cooling down now to put into a syringe to rinse it out better. As for the spray I used vetericyn wound spray. I just want to make sure it gets cleaned out enough and I think spraying it initially was not enough...I will use the saline solution to clean it out, then dry around it with gauze and then apply the spray again I think.

For the antibiotic ointment, can I use a human one? Like neosporin? I will get some pics as soon as I go out there and rinse the wound out in 15min.

She has been bullied in the past but never so badly...we just had our oldest queen of the roost die 2 weeks ago so I think they are restructuring their order and she is on the bottom of the totem pole. I'm almost thinking she will have to be separated forever now and maybe give her a Silkie friend or something, I dont know...

Here are some pics after we cleaned it. It was hard to get a good photo... There is a flap of scalp towards the back of the gash that kept folding back when she'd shake her head that I had to flap back over. You can kinda see the depth in the first two pics when she leans forward but in person with the right angle it's deeper than it looks in the pics. You can see the line of the split in the last photo when the skin is together when she leans up.

I cleaned it up good with the syringe of saline solution and then sprayed it with vetericyn

Attachments

• 20240315_212618.jpg
    20240315_212618.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240315_212612.jpg
    20240315_212612.jpg
    435.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240315_212207.jpg
    20240315_212207.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 3
Here are some pics after we cleaned it. It was hard to get a good photo... There is a flap of scalp towards the back of the gash that kept folding back when she'd shake her head that I had to flap back over. You can kinda see the depth in the first two pics but in person with the right angle it's deeper than it looks in the pics. You can see the line of the split in the last photo
My hen looked like that a few months ago, she healed fine but her head feathers grew back white so now she has a mohawk.

Back
Top Bottom