Bullied Duck

Wow what an amazing amount of info. In England we call someone a legend for providing all that knowledge. Definitely will make an effort to take a photo this weekend (unless we all freeze) and take her to the vets to see what they think.

There is also a possibility we might acquire a male duck possibly for free. A lady at our daughter's children centre has too many and is possibly looking for a home. But as I said at the moment Miki hasn't quite reverted back to type of constant feather plucking so we'll watch this space. (At the end of the day if they've now settled down I don't want to go fixing a problem that's not broken. If we do treat her it'll be in a month or so when things warm up so she won't freeze in the conservatory plus it'll take time for me to clear it out and set up the (dry) paddling pool.

There is part of me that's bitter about being sold a sick animal unfortunately there are people who take advantage of naïve/amature small holder's but then again we have probably saved her from the pot or possibly a fox/mink because it was an expansive farm they were reared on and there must of been casualties I do believe in karma though so you never know maybe he bumped his sporty porche the next day lol.

The sweetest thing is that she is a good layer and has a wonderful pleasant character what more could we ask for from our feathered friends?.

Wow what an amazing amount of info. In England we call someone a legend for providing all that knowledge. Definitely will make an effort to take a photo this weekend (unless we all freeze) and take her to the vets to see what they think.

There is also a possibility we might acquire a male duck possibly for free. A lady at our daughter's children centre has too many and is possibly looking for a home. But as I said at the moment Miki hasn't quite reverted back to type of constant feather plucking so we'll watch this space. (At the end of the day if they've now settled down I don't want to go fixing a problem that's not broken. If we do treat her it'll be in a month or so when things warm up so she won't freeze in the conservatory plus it'll take time for me to clear it out and set up the (dry) paddling pool.

There is part of me that's bitter about being sold a sick animal unfortunately there are people who take advantage of naïve/amature small holder's but then again we have probably saved her from the pot or possibly a fox/mink because it was an expansive farm they were reared on and there must of been casualties I do believe in karma though so you never know maybe he bumped his sporty porche the next day lol.

The sweetest thing is that she is a good layer and has a wonderful pleasant character what more could we ask for from our feathered friends?.
A vet if you can find one would be able to treat her foot and you wouldn't have to wait and it maybe get worse.

That is great she is laying. I think she is much better off with you all than where she was.

Good news,

Went to the vets today apparently Niki doesn't have bumble foot as previously suggested by a neighbour who has some hens and ducks himself. However the vet very confidently diagnosed her with arthritis and suggested some glucosamine and turmeric medication we could give her.

She even let Niki have a waddle about her clinic room. Although Niki was so chilled out she just stood there it was only when I started getting her to waddle about quacking with protest that she actually bothered to move. But overall the vet was very happy with her and quite impressed both ducks were laying so regularly even at this time of the year.

The bad news is my laptop refuses to transfer the pictures saved on it to this website. Very annoying.

Thank you for kind words, advice and support. Tom, Ali and the girls lol.

Good news,

Went to the vets today apparently Niki doesn't have bumble foot as previously suggested by a neighbour who has some hens and ducks himself. However the vet very confidently diagnosed her with arthritis and suggested some glucosamine and turmeric medication we could give her.

She even let Niki have a waddle about her clinic room. Although Niki was so chilled out she just stood there it was only when I started getting her to waddle about quacking with protest that she actually bothered to move. But overall the vet was very happy with her and quite impressed both ducks were laying so regularly even at this time of the year.

The bad news is my laptop refuses to transfer the pictures saved on it to this website. Very annoying.

Thank you for kind words, advice and support. Tom, Ali and the girls lol.
Great it's treatable I use both for my flock and my dogs. and I use Tumeric for my self too. Sounds like an awesome vet.

All the best to you Tom and Ali and the Girls!!

Back
Top Bottom