bullied hen is staying in the nest

mamaschwab

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
Hello
5 days ago, my Easter Egger was pounced on and pecked on the head severely by our Australorp. Ever since then she has stayed in the nesting box. If we try to take her out she gets very agitated and tries to get back in and away from the other chickens. Today we took the meany out and the Easter Egger was still very nervous and wanted OUT.
We are thinking of putting the meany in jail for a few days but aren't sure what to do about the poor scared chicken. It's like she's afraid of everyone right now.
Any suggestions?
we do have food and water on the nesting area but I don't like her spending all her time including night time in the box.

Hi there mamaschwab

I am also wondering if there is a chance she is broody?

How old is she and how long has she been in the flock?

I have recently been down this path with reintegration of a hen who was off being a mumma.

Just my humble opinion and thoughts, but if she is not broody, do you have another hen who is friendly? If you separate out the meany, your EE may still be scared having to deal with the whole flock. Can you separate the EE with your most friendliest hen?

This way your EE can gain some confidence, one on one and also make a new friend. Then, when they are introduced back to the main flock, she will have someone she feels safe with. If you do go down this path, it is an idea to ensure that everyone can still see each other through wire dividers etc or it will just make reintegration all that bit harder if they are totally separated.

Also, the key is lots of room to get away from the meany. Do you free range them? To build up your EE's confidence, when the Meany & Co are out on a free range, try leaving her in the run with that one friendly hen which will hopefully restore her confidence and help her realise that she is safe in there and does not need to hide in the coop.

I hope some of that helps and good luck :)

Hi There
I suppose it's possible she's broody. She's 2 years old and has never been broody before and it seems like a weird time of year for it but the thought has occurred to me. She is making the broody sound that another one of ours has made in the past when on the nest while broody.
She is one of our original group and the meany joined them with 2 others last spring. She (meany) used to be afraid of the elder gals but has definitely changed her tune.
I like your advice about putting her together with a friend and will try it.
Thanks so much!

I had surprise broodies, so it can happen. I had 2 six month old pullets go broody about 6 weeks ago. So an odd age and an odd time of year. If you take her out and she runs back in that's a pretty good sign that she's broody. A scared chicken would probably just hide wherever was handy. A broody wants a very specific place - the nest.

Good luck with your girl. I have been super lucky and haven't had any meanies yet so no advice just good luck!

It's the first week of summer here....don't talk to me about broody chooks. I have 5 mothers with babies, and when I fed them this morning there are 3 more hens sitting in nests looking suspiciously clucky!

I too, currently have a girl in the broody buster cage at the moment.

She did a 6 day stint in there 3 weeks ago, and I thought she was over it. She even started laying again. Then three days ago, there she was - all puffed up to the max, hunkered down in a nest full of stolen eggs, and singing to herself. Here we go again.....

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom