Bullied new rooster by hens

LuckyChance

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2021
Abitibi
Hi there,

We have 13 hens (5 red X, 4 Columbian rock, 4 plymouth rock) all the same age (10 months old), and everything was totally fine BEFORE. Some people suggested that we get a rooster since we had problems with predators. Then someone gave us a rooster because they had too many and he was always pecked on. He's a 10 months old rhode island. Our flock as a whole barn to themselves in the winter and are free in the summer. Since the rooster arrived, a few fights broke between the hens and him. Then I noticed that he always keeps himself higher than all the other hens but doesn't come down. I know it probably is because he is pecked on but what can I do ? Everything is fine with the red x hens... But SO NOT with the plymouth rock.

Thank you :)

They will figure it out, it just takes time. With a younger rooster, and one that was lower than other roosters, it is going to take a bit to get his confidence back. But the days are getting longer, the red stripes will be rising in the legs, and he will come into his own. Just leave them be, and let them work it out.

Do have multiple feed stations, and maybe one or two out of sight.

Mrs K

Nothing ever works out perfectly, but if it has to go one way or the other I'd rather have the pullets picking on the cockerel. Maybe he'll learn some respect out of it. The multiple food and water stations is definitely a good idea and just give it time. They'll sort it out on their own.

Then I noticed that he always keeps himself higher than all the other hens but doesn't come down.
When cockerels are picking on the girls and they don't want them to, the pullets do the same thing. Go up high to avoid getting picked on. It's one way chickens protect themselves in a flock, if the weaker are getting picked on they avoid the ones picking on them. Sounds perfectly natural.

I know it probably is because he is pecked on but what can I do ?
Pretty much what they said. Patience as long as no one is getting injured. They will work it out, probably without anyone getting injured.

But SO NOT with the plymouth rock.
That tells me that that hen is probably the dominant flock leader. She doesn't want that boy to replace her so she picks on him to keep him in his place. At some point he will mature enough and gain enough self-confidence that he will take over. Sometimes that can be very peaceful, you won't even notice it is happening. Or they may be in for a day or two of fighting and violence. You never know how it will work out.

You need to watch and be ready to lock one up separately if it gets bloody. You never know what will happen with living animals. With as much room as yours have I think the odds of them working it out are pretty good. Hope so anyway.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to update you. Mr. Ti-Casque is actually doing much better. Still working his way to the top but no more fights. Thanks A LOT for the tips. It really helped :love

Hi guys,

Just wanted to update you. Mr. Ti-Casque is actually doing much better. Still working his way to the top but no more fights. Thanks A LOT for the tips. It really helped :love
I am so interested in this thread because I introduced 3 young chickens to my flock a while back (integrated slowly) and now the newbs are like 5 months old - they pretty much have their clique but the ladies from my old flock are SO MEAN to our little guy. He is actually basically about their size but he is very mild mannered and adorable but the ladies are horrible to him.

Back
Top Bottom