Bullied Rooster

Aug 7, 2020
I have a flock of 8 Silkies. Four hens and four roosters. One rooster, Dorf, was at the top of the pecking order, but he was hardly ever a bully. Recently, two other roosters, Fozzie and Aro, started to take over the top spot and now Dorf is getting bullied quite badly. He’s not badly injured, but I still feel so bad for him. The two bullies are sleeping separated from the rest of the flock tonight because they were rejecting Dorf from the hen house. That cannot be a permanent solution. Is there any other solution than rehoming? I’ve already had to do that and it broke my heart as I’m so very attached to my chickens and think of them as pets.

In a small flock, if you can and feel so inclined I always say keep a spare rooster if you can incase something happens to the flock master.

In my flock I have a Egyptian Fayoumi as flock master rooster. he has lieutenants who help him look after the flock that are bantams. It's really cute to see them work together but I'm lucky in that my main flock roosters pretty much have their pecking order worked out and they stick to it. Not too many challenges going on.

I just finished processing an older rooster who had been blinded by fighting and turned mean. After being flogged once too many times he's now chilling in the refrigerator. This happened even though he was in a cage by himself.

I commend you wanting to rehome the birds. Fighting leads to injuries or death and it stresses the whole flock.

Do you think the rooster left behind will challenge the head rooster? Something to consider because he might. If you have 4 roosters, two are fighters, two aren't, I'd try to keep the two that weren't and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom