Bully Drake - Lonely or Bad?

Lindsy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 5, 2011
Hi everyone
I have a sm mixed flock, 1 roo (docile) 4 hens, 1 young hen. A year ago introduced 2 ducklings Boris and Doris. Integrated just fine. Unfortunately lost Doris in December to a coon while free ranging. Boris and Doris are Kakhi Campbells. Haven't been able to find a lady friend to replace Doris....all Kakhi's I've been able to find are ducklings.

Here's the current problem. Boris is in control of the mixed flock not he roo. He follows one of the hens that, he, ummmm seems quite "interested" in, tries to mount her, etc. He orders the roo around. Do you think this is cause he needs a mate? Can I get another duck breed, and if so which do you think the best? He is never agressive to people.

2nd problem....it appears he has been bullying one of the hens. She's a buff Orp frizzle and got rather bare after hatching a chick. They are all penned up in a coop each nite, Boris rules the "ground" floor. I think he's been nipping her feathers..yesterday, not only does she have almost no feathers (so can't fly above the ground floor to roost) she appears almost black and blue on her skin in big big patches. Do you think that's him?

Now...I've separated them so he can't get to her but not sure what to put on her? Doesn't look red and raw...just disgusting black and blue and no feathers! Any thoughts?

This is the first real problem I've experience with the mixed flock.

thanks
Lindsy

Hi everyone
I have a sm mixed flock, 1 roo (docile) 4 hens, 1 young hen. A year ago introduced 2 ducklings Boris and Doris. Integrated just fine. Unfortunately lost Doris in December to a coon while free ranging. Boris and Doris are Kakhi Campbells. Haven't been able to find a lady friend to replace Doris....all Kakhi's I've been able to find are ducklings.

Here's the current problem. Boris is in control of the mixed flock not he roo. He follows one of the hens that, he, ummmm seems quite "interested" in, tries to mount her, etc. He orders the roo around. Do you think this is cause he needs a mate? Can I get another duck breed, and if so which do you think the best? He is never agressive to people.

2nd problem....it appears he has been bullying one of the hens. She's a buff Orp frizzle and got rather bare after hatching a chick. They are all penned up in a coop each nite, Boris rules the "ground" floor. I think he's been nipping her feathers..yesterday, not only does she have almost no feathers (so can't fly above the ground floor to roost) she appears almost black and blue on her skin in big big patches. Do you think that's him?

Now...I've separated them so he can't get to her but not sure what to put on her? Doesn't look red and raw...just disgusting black and blue and no feathers! Any thoughts?

This is the first real problem I've experience with the mixed flock.

thanks
Lindsy
Because you don't want the rest of the flock pecking at her bare skin, get some Blue Kote and spray it on her bare spots, chickens are notorious for pecking at bare skin and if they see blood will even eat their own. sad but true. and you did the right thing by separating Boris from your hens, if he was to mate with them he would most likely kill them because chickens were not made to mate with ducks whole different anatomy . get him another duck, it really doesn't matter if it's KC unless you want to raise KC for sale or just wanting to keep KC. if you even got KC ducklings you'd be able to introduce them to Boris after 4 months old. But yes Boris needs a mate. Give Boris his own space where he can still see the chickens but doesn't have contact with your hens.. and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom