Angel25

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2021
I have a hen in my flock who always sleeps near the door of the coop. She keeps attacking any other hen who tries to go in at night and now i'm finding hens trying to sleep all over the run!

Does anyone have any advice for stopping this behaviour?

I have a hen in my flock who always sleeps near the door of the coop. She keeps attacking any other hen who tries to go in at night and now i'm finding hens trying to sleep all over the run!

Tell us more about your flock and their coop.
How many, how old(in weeks or months), how long have they all lived together????
How big is coop, in feet by feet)?
Dimensions and pics would help.

In my experience, this is almost alway caused by not enough space in the coop. Or not enough ventilation. It might be that the coop is hot, and the coolest place is right by the door, and she is not giving it up, so the others roost somewhere else.

Mrs K

I should add that it's new hens (plus 1 at the bottom of the pecking order) getting attacked if they try and enter.

The bully (Izzy) is around 3 and not the top of the pecking order by any means but definitely aggressive to them outside of the coop too.

There are 16 in total (two of whom are bantams). They live in a large run and coop designed for someone who had a huge flock. Most sleep on the perch or in nesting boxes but Izzy has always been partial to sitting in the corner by the doorway.

Back
Top Bottom