Bully Hen? poor victim is timid and has stopped laying.

MissAli

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I am seeking advise for my poor EE, Lady, who appears to be the victim of a bit of bullying. She's missing feathers from her lower back/base of her tail. And now she hasn't even laid an egg for over a week. (she used to lay 5 times a week) I have whitnessed over and over again Cleo, one of our RIR, walk over and pluck feathers off of Lady. (poor Lady squaks in pain) I thought at first Cleo was becoming a feather picker, but we have tried a flock block, as well as extra protein in the form or animal meat, and she just plain keeps plucking feathers....but only off of Lady. Poor Lady used to be so friendly but now she cowers when we try to pet her and avoids being touched, especially her back. I am starting to wonder if Lady is becoming stressed since she isn't even laying now. By the way these girls are only about 30 weeks.

I was wondering if I seperated Cleo from the bunch if it would help re-do the pecking order. Or will she just go right back to picking on poor Lady when I reintroduce her? And if I do seperate her, HOW seperate should she be/not be? I was thinking like a kennel next to or placed inside the run. Or should she be totally removed further away?

Ideas??? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom