Bully hen!

jojorose8

Chirping
Apr 17, 2017
Chelsea, VT
Hello all! I separated out a bully last Monday. I had a broody who had stayed with the flock to hatch and then for about a week after the baby was born. Then, the baby got pecked and I brought momma and baby inside for baby to heal (after seeing a vet). After trying to reintegrate momma and baby back with the flock, my bully was attacking the momma and pulling her feathers. I tried separating the bully inside the coop with no luck. So now bully is separated in her own coop and area outside. She’s been there for 5 days and the poor thing is getting very restless and sad. How long do I separate the bully? All the other girls are getting along great now and even let the 6 week old baby sleep on the roosting bars last night. I don’t want to mess that up.

Try a monitored reintroduction. Expect some fighting. Hopefully she will be subordinated. If she again starts targeting the chick, back to isolation for her. Good luck.

I've had several problems with bullies (in the pen) myself. An old-timer told me if you separate the bully for about six days to a week then it should be reranked to the bottom of the pecking order. But I've also had to get rid of a bully once, and a second time I removed a hen from the coop and let her free range (not certain I got the bully this time). But I've never had bullies keep bulling babies. My rooster also is very protective of the babies, it might be why bulling babies doesn't last.

Back
Top Bottom