1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Bully in the flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Noodlynoo, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Noodlynoo

Noodlynoo In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    I am new at this and have purchased 3 buff wyndottes and 1 silver laced wyndottes. The buffs all grew up together and the other one was with a mixed variety. As they were all of the same breed, I was told they would be ok.
    Problem is, the laced one is a bit of a bully and pecks the others to keep them away from any new foods I throw in.
    They don't get wounded, but it's clear she dominates the others.
    The bully is the only one that lays, while the buffs have stopped laying since I've had them, when I was assured they were laying before. I have no reason to disbelieve him.

Could the bully be the cause of them not laying? Apart from take her back, is there anything I can do about it?

2. JadedPhoenix

JadedPhoenix Songster

Oct 29, 2012
    Tyro-Lexington, NC
    It takes a while for hens to lay after they are given new surroundings. Plus, you didn't say how old they are or if they were already laying before you get it. As for the hen that keeps others from food and such, so long as there is no blood, it is normal behavior. She is letting everyone know that she is at the top of the pecking order. She is top hen and she will determine who gets what after she is full.

3. Noodlynoo

Noodlynoo In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    I have only had them 2 weeks but compared to where they were, they are in a palace! They were hatched last autumn apparently, and we're laying before I picked them up.
    Am I expecting too much too soon?

4. charliethezero

charliethezero Songster

May 10, 2009
    East central MN
    I just picked up a hen from my uncles, it took two weeks for her to start laying again at my place. It will just take time to adjust.

1 person likes this.
  5. LittleGecko

LittleGecko Chirping

Jul 5, 2014
    Don't worry it took a lot longer than two weeks for my flock to settle down when I introduced my two wynnadottes. There was a fair bit of pecking and hogging of food from the dominant hens but it has settled down now. Dominant birds like to feed before the others but so long as there is plenty no one misses out.
    Your girls should all be laying soon once they have settled after all the upheaval of a move and a flock change. I am so glad you have got them away from poor conditions and am sure that your care and attention will bring out the best in your new girls!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by