Bullying and Also Ignoring the New Girl

heartmychicks

Hatching
Sep 13, 2015
Southwest Missouri
Hi Everyone, I have had a tiny flock of 3 pullets that are 8 months old now. I have had them since they were about 14 weeks old. They were all new at the same time. I just recently added another pullet to the flock. I did everything right, having them separated for a while, but able to see each other, and now she has joined them in their free ranging. I have had her for 10 days, and they finally have let her into the coop at night for the last 3 nights. (I was putting her in manually after everyone had already gone to roost). During the day, they still chase her and peck at her, and the 3 girls go off and do their own thing while the new girl is ranging alone. She tries to join them but they chase her away. My question is, in your experience, will they fully accept her into the flock eventually, or could this unacceptance go on forever? I could be anthropomorphizing, but she seems very sad. I'm new to the whole chicken experience. Thoughts?

They will more than likely accept her sooner or later. Just be patient. Usually when I have to introduce a new single girl into the flock I pick one of mine that is already in the flock that is not aggressive and put her in with the new girl at first. Once they buddy up, then I start to introduce/ reintroduce the pair together. This seems to speed up the process when I have a single hen to add. Just give her a little more time and she should be fine. You did fine.
smile.png

I got my new ones in March and did it all "right" as well and finally this week they seem like one flock. The new EE's were up in the big girls turf snuggled up and digging together and the Orps were on the ground hanging around the main food dish. They were up until now like 2 separate flocks in the run never willingly hanging out. Sometimes it takes a long while for them to be comfortable with each other.

Hi Everyone, I have had a tiny flock of 3 pullets that are 8 months old now. I have had them since they were about 14 weeks old. They were all new at the same time. I just recently added another pullet to the flock. I did everything right, having them separated for a while, but able to see each other, and now she has joined them in their free ranging. I have had her for 10 days, and they finally have let her into the coop at night for the last 3 nights. (I was putting her in manually after everyone had already gone to roost). During the day, they still chase her and peck at her, and the 3 girls go off and do their own thing while the new girl is ranging alone. She tries to join them but they chase her away. My question is, in your experience, will they fully accept her into the flock eventually, or could this unacceptance go on forever? I could be anthropomorphizing, but she seems very sad. I'm new to the whole chicken experience. Thoughts?
I applaud your awareness of anthropomorphizing <thumbsup>
She's probably fine....
......as long as she's getting enough to eat and drink, is not showing undue stress and is not being chased/trapped/beaten up without cease.

Thank you! I will be patient. And for next time, I will remember your way of doing it!
You could still try to do the mix and match buddy up thing if you wanted.
Could cause some stress tho and if things are fairly calm now might be best to wait it out.

How old is the newbie?

Thanks for your feedback. I guess you just never know how long it will take. I've heard the stories, but for some reason I thought my "sweet" little girls would be different! LOL. They're still chickens...........

Think of it like "Chicken TV" Sometimes you have your soap operas, sometimes your comedies, sometimes a good drama. So pull up your popcorn and a lawnchair and enjoy the show. (commercial free most of the time).
pop.gif

They really are incredibly entertaining! Grateful we all didn't float away with all of the rain we got over the last week! They didn't care though - still chose to stay out and forage around.

Back
Top Bottom