Bullying in a Flock of 3

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LilUrbanFlock, Aug 23, 2013.

1. LilUrbanFlock

LilUrbanFlock New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    Hello!

I have a lovely little flock of three chickens, Jean, Jubilee, and Rouge. I had four, but one turned out to be a rooster and I had to find a new home for him because of the city laws. It made me sad because he was the best rooster ever! Since the rooster, Blink, left Rouge has been having trouble adjusting. She started out by hurting herself, which was really hard to watch, now she is attacking Jubilee, the smallest of the group. Jean stays out of it and is not getting picked on at all. She can hang out with either of them with no trouble, she even gets in between them sometimes.

I kept Jubilee and Rouge separated all day yesterday, but I'm not able to be around all the time to keep an eye on them. When they have plenty of room they are fine, but when I put them in their coop in the evening Rouge starts getting at Jubilee. She hasn't done any real damage to Jubilee yet, it is pretty upsetting to see her attack her.

Since there are only three of them I'm hoping they can get along. Any advice? I hand raised them together and they were all so happy until recently!

Thank you so much!
    L

2. cascaderox

cascaderox Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    I have only two hens but the bigger one bullies the smaller one so I started to "stand up" to the one getting bullied. Every time they went to eat she would get pushed out the way so I would stay and make sure that the older one wouldn't do it sometimes I would pick up the bigger one an let the smaller one eat first so the little one ate but after doing that for a week they dont argue anymore

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by