Bullying problems that I can't figure out

Bluepheonix13255

Chirping
Oct 4, 2021
Knoxville, Tennessee
Alright we have a flock of now 18 birds. Split evenly between Bluerocks, Black Sussexes, and Easter Eggers, with maybe 3 more BS's than the others.
I've had bullying problems since about October. We didn't have enough space, but have expanded to a figure recommended by a user here. This has not even slowed it down.
Watching them, it seems to mostly be a few Black Sussexes that start it. Most of their bald spots seem retaliatory in nature. Sometimes it is targeted, they are going after one chicken. Other times they go from one to the next trying to peck somebody like a drunk looking for a fight and not caring who with.
They don't approach outright either, they sneak up behind and peck them.
The best I can assume is that Black Sussexes are just temperamental birds that don't mix well with others, but that's literally a baseless guess.
Any solutions or an explanation? Even if I can't stop this I'ld at least like to understand why it's happening.

Attachments

• 20220306_110623.jpg
    20220306_110623.jpg
    685.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220306_110227.jpg
    20220306_110227.jpg
    834.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220306_110144.jpg
    20220306_110144.jpg
    649 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220306_110106.jpg
    20220306_110106.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220306_110100.jpg
    20220306_110100.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220306_110058.jpg
    20220306_110058.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
My birds started fighting. I had seperated the bully and couldnt break it. So i ended up getting rid of it. Then about 4 months later another bird started doing it. Then i seperated her and she stopped. I would try figuring out the one who was doing it then separate her. I hope you figure it out.

Unfortunately, your story is the exact same thing I delt with 2 years ago. Needless to say, I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked so my RIR's (aggressors) were rehomed. Space wasn't an issue because they roamed on approx 5 acres of land. Their coop was gigantic, way more space than they really needed, etc. From my experience of raising chickens I've learned some breeds are just more aggressive than others. EE tend to be very docile birds by nature so other, more dominant breeds may take full advantage of that. Some breeds just don't mix well with others. It will eventually get bad, if nothings done about it. Pecking/bullying issues start off with minor pecking and progress as time goes on. The aggressors will start to bully to the point they start forcing their victim into hiding spots, so on and so forth. Which then makes the bird seeking shelter even more vulnerable to being picked on even worse. One agressor starts, more start! Chickens learn from watching their flock mates, so if they see one doing it then they think they need to do it. It's a situation that needs to be nipped in the bud immediately, whether that may be separating, rehoming, etc. It's a repeat cycle which usually doesn't end well for the more docile breed.

they go from one to the next trying to peck somebody like a drunk looking for a fight and not caring who with.
Boredom perhaps (I feel like you describe when I am bored). Leading to a learned behavioral issue. Enrichment like hanging things (cabbage, broccoli, corn on the cob) to jump and peck at or even colored spots painted on the wood. More ground covering like mulch, leaves, fresh mowed grass, etc.. that gives something to scratch through and attracts bugs to look for

Surprise attack is the most effective, I've seen broody Silkies use it to their advantage.

Are the Black Sussex all pristine feathered? Since you think they are the culprits?

Have you checked for parasites? Some have nice light pink skin.. but a couple look angry red. Using a flash light after dark can be the most revealing.

Is there any rooster mounting adding to this balding?

Pinless peepers might be one option!

Nutrition.. if feeding "layer" (or something less than that), increasing protein might decrease issues while also improving feather condition.

The bare chest (also angry red skin).. either self inflicted (parasites over grooming) or from standing her ground and going to a full on kick fight with another bird?? I can't really see that being a sneak attack or standard roost time picking in that location. I'm just looking for clues and having discussion here, not presuming anything. There can be more than just one thing going on here. Space was great place to start and does make a huge difference!

Is there a light in their coop by chance?

Hope you do find not only answers but solutions! :fl

Unfortunately, your story is the exact same thing I delt with 2 years ago. Needless to say, I tried everything under the sun and nothing worked so my RIR's (aggressors) were rehomed. Space wasn't an issue because they roamed on approx 5 acres of land. Their coop was gigantic, way more space than they really needed, etc. From my experience of raising chickens I've learned some breeds are just more aggressive than others. EE tend to be very docile birds by nature so other, more dominant breeds may take full advantage of that. Some breeds just don't mix well with others. It will eventually get bad, if nothings done about it. Pecking/bullying issues start off with minor pecking and progress as time goes on. The aggressors will start to bully to the point they start forcing their victim into hiding spots, so on and so forth. Which then makes the bird seeking shelter even more vulnerable to being picked on even worse. One agressor starts, more start! Chickens learn from watching their flock mates, so if they see one doing it then they think they need to do it. It's a situation that needs to be nipped in the bud immediately, whether that may be separating, rehoming, etc. It's a repeat cycle which usually doesn't end well for the more docile breed.
I had easter eggers that were doing it. They have an extra 3 sq ft of space in the coop and they had an extra at least 10sqft in the run for 5 birds. So space was not an issue for me either

It's certainly sad that rehoming the Sussexes may be the solution, but it's at least reassuring to know it's not me doing something wrong- thank you for that.

The Black Sussexes at this point are not pristine, but watching them for 10 minutes or so reveals that they're the aggressor the majority of the time. Some of our blue rocks are just big, and those birds are the least bald-I assume they fight back when it happens, but haven't seen it myself.
Parasites hadn't even entered my mind. I'll definitely have a check- I assume with a light and their thin skin I'll see them if they're there tonight. That being said they do square up occasionally. I've only seen it twice, but there's only 2 birds with bald chests- and 1 Sussex and a blue rock I'm sure would turn around and fight back.
We do have a rooster, but even he has a bald spot- he's an Easter egger.
Lastly, we do have 2 lights in their henhouse. I kept in on over the winter, but have recently- with the last week, turned them both of, so it's dark in their at night.

Back
Top Bottom