Bumble foot checkup

Mewcycle

Songster
Sep 27, 2020
Fischer, Texas
Greetings! I have been treating this case of bumble foot for about a week and this is the second go around with this same spot. Thought we had it sorted with Vet. She had treatment and antibiotics and the first time.

This young lady's name is Dottie. She is a Speckled Sussex less than a year old.
Sorry I don’t have before pictures. Just today’s.
When I noticed the swelling was back but on the top of her foot, it prompted me to have a closer inspection. Found that the black dot on her pad was back. That was about a week ago. So I soaked in epsom Salk, easily popped out a nice size kernel (had never found a kernel the time we sought vet help) attached to the black dot. Took it one step further and did a tiny lance on the top of her foot just on the right of her middle toe and out came another kernel about a third the size of the first along with some puss. That spot looks really good to me now and has a nice healthy looking scab and no swelling. The other side of her middle toe on top is still swelling, but it has gone down a bit in the week I have been treating her.
you may notice also, her back toe is pealing. Yesterday I noticed it was purple near the nail and today this. So that spot got treated as well. I wonder if I got her bandage too tight on an occasion and it just lost circulation for a day?
I have no idea if the bottom of her foot is healthy pink or bad pink.
Hopefully someone can offer some expertise. I don’t really want to take her back to the vet. Didn’t seem to help and cost me a fortune.
I am doing epsom soaks, hydrogen peroxide and the triple ointment (non pain relief), non stick bandage and vet wrap. She is in a large dog crate to keep her dry and from jumping. She is a lively pullet and aggressive eater. Her comb is cherry red and she doesn’t act at all unhealthy. Is not overweight. Lays an egg almost every day.
Does it look like I’m on the right path with this? It sure seems slow.

21BE2067-1F79-4CDB-A868-B182797268B8.jpeg
481BBBDE-85E7-4F91-87F8-5EBAE9F54051.jpeg

I'm no expert by any means and am fighting bumble foot too but I'd say that the bottom still looks infected, are u sure u got all the nasty stuff out? Hopefully some more experienced folk chime in for u. Good luck!

I'm no expert by any means and am fighting bumble foot too but I'd say that the bottom still looks infected, are u sure u got all the nasty stuff out? Hopefully some more experienced folk chime in for u. Good luck!
I wonder the sam e. But I cannot find any more puss and don’t want to keep digging. I wonder if the epsom soaks will help draw any infection down to this spot. I may try to find the clear iodine today.
i really need to get it cleared up in the next two weeks. I’ll be going out of town for two weeks after that. There won’t be anyone here to do this. Just feed, water and gather eggs.

Back
Top Bottom