Bumble Foot

Cynjay

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
My little Mallard has bumble feet 2 to be exact. I removed the plugs and I have quarantined her. 1 of them kept bleeding I'm a little worried. Will she be ok? I bandaged up her feet.

Many Thanks, Cyndi

My little Mallard has bumble feet 2 to be exact. I removed the plugs and I have quarantined her. 1 of them kept bleeding I'm a little worried. Will she be ok? I bandaged up her feet.

Many Thanks, Cyndi
I don’t know much about the subject, but from. My experience with others I’ve heard that a salt water wash/saline wash should help a bit

Here the pictures. I don't think I got the other bumblefoot.

Attachments

• 20201022_090405.jpg
    20201022_090405.jpg
    545.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20201022_090327.jpg
    20201022_090327.jpg
    345.1 KB · Views: 9
Sorry, I didn't see your reply.

She definitely has Bumblefoot. If she were mine, I would start soaking her leg in Epsom salt water for a few days, to loosen the core, then try to take the core out with a scalpel, and tweezers. If there is bleeding when you are taking the core out, apply firm pressure, and keep digging further until the whole core is out.

After the core it out, fill the hole with an antibacterial ointment and bandage the foot. Here is a link on bandaging duck feet :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wrapping-feet.1255043/

That's good. Keep on doing so until the core is fairly loose, then try taking it out. Ensuring their bedding substrate is soft, clean, and free of hard objects will ultimately help prevent Bumblefoot from occurring in the future.
I use straw bedding what do you recommend for bedding?

I use straw bedding what do you recommend for bedding?

Straw is fine.

I was more concerned about their run area. Basing off from your profile picture there run area is mostly compiled of hard compacted dirt which offers very little cushioning, to their footpads and feet which may have been a partial cause of the Bumblefoot. Filling the area with organic matter such as leaves, fine wood chips, etc, may be a better alternative.

Back
Top Bottom