Bumble foot

Jul 19, 2021
Montgomery county ny
We have a chicken how has bumble foot on both feet and we do a surgery almost every other day to try and get out the infection but it only seems to get worst we soak it and give them everbs and we have cut it open but it just wont go away please if anybody knows anything let us know

That sounds a little excessive, doing surgery every other day. Do you have pictures of the feet? Are the chickens limping or having redness, swelling, and an obvious abscess? I don’t usually do surgery unless I see those things. You can try first soaking the feet in warm Epsom salts to try softening scabs, where they can be removed by hand. Then squeeze to try and get out a core. I have some with old bumblefoot that doesn’t seem to bother them, so unless they have symptoms, I leave them alone. Once you do get the core out after surgery, keep plain antibiotic ointment on it and the wound covered until the skin heals.

we are still trying to get the core out there is several red abcesses and swelling and it not really a surgery more so we are just trying to get the core out and the swelling to go down and we soak with epsom salt and apply iodine and vetericyn we wrap it every time and only do any crazy stuff when we need to this has been going on for almost a month or so and the chicken has slight limp it looks like but it pops up and then goes away so I dont know whats happening we have tried everything online and made 2 or 3 herbal salves and oils

In some cases antibiotics could be needed. Some people have had luck with sugardine, a combination of colorless betadine and sugar made into a paste, and applied as a dressing for 2-3 days and repeat.

If you can't get the core out yourself, or aren't too keen to cut deeper, it may be time to contact a vet or see if there's someone experienced in your community that can assist in giving it a thorough clean. I usually go until I'm getting blood.

You should only need to get it all out once and it will heal as long as it's well wrapped and medicated. A thick pad of sterile gauze and some vet wrap to hold it in place should keep it off the ground and clean. Swap bandages daily until the wound starts to seal, then it can go longer between redressings. If it is wet or muddy out, redress daily.

If you can't get the core out yourself, or aren't too keen to cut deeper, it may be time to contact a vet or see if there's someone experienced in your community that can assist in giving it a thorough clean. I usually go until I'm getting blood.

You should only need to get it all out once and it will heal as long as it's well wrapped and medicated. A thick pad of sterile gauze and some vet wrap to hold it in place should keep it off the ground and clean. Swap bandages daily until the wound starts to seal, then it can go longer between redressings. If it is wet or muddy out, redress daily.
How do you know if the core is out we wrap it and change it daily and it heals but theres still red abcesses and swelling

How do you know if the core is out we wrap it and change it daily and it heals but theres still red abcesses and swelling
The core is hard and, like a splinter, needs to come out. It's technically a ball of puss - for whatever reason, puss tends to harden in poultry which is why you get a kernel. There can still be soft or cheesy puss around it though.
You can generally feel it through the skin as a hard knot. Also excess heat around the wound would indicate infection. Chicken do run hotter than us, so best to compare to an uninjured foot from someone else in the flock to be sure.

Posting pics the next time you bring her in for bandaging will help, but it sounds like it may be quite deep in there and is reinfecting so often. You mentioned she's already on oral antibiotics?

Not oral ones but we wrap her foot with iodione and have herbal salves and give her herbs and other thing know that I know what the core is I think I know where it is and It is gooing to be hard to get though its on the top
Might be best to get some pics up.

I'd go with triple antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) to pack the wound next time. Could she be having an allergic reaction to the salve at all?

Back
Top Bottom