1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumble foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gaited horse, Dec 21, 2009.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    My chicken has bumble foot.
    Should I seperate her from the rest of the flock?
    Do I have to do the surgrey?
    Is there any medicine I can give her to help ease the and help the foot go down?

2. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    Here is a good article on bumblefoot.
    http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/poultry-health/bumblefoot.html

But before you go cutting, read the quote from Speckeledhen below....
    Quote:This is what I did for my roo:
    First, I soaked his foot in warm water and epsom salts. Then I wrapped him in a towel and covered his head with a dark colored sock. I had an "assistant" hold him whilst I removed the plug. I cleaned his foot with a 1:1 mixture of iodine/saline. I was fortunate enough to not have to actually "cut" anything. I used a very sharp pair of tweezers which I had sanatized with rubbing alcohol and poked them into the foot alongside the scab. I was then able to remove it. I flushed the hole thoroughly with a new 1:1 mixture of iodine/saline, and packed it with antibiotic ointment WITHOUT PAIN RELIEF as chickens are allergic to "caine" ingredients, commonly found in topical pain relievers. Then I wrapped it with coban "vet wrap" to keep it clean and dry whilst healing.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by