Bumblefoot advice please!

lauranickerson

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Kingsley, MI
So I noticed that my leghorn had a really swelled foot the other day. She wasn't even limping on it so I didn't catch it at first, and don't know how long it's been like this. I finally got all the tools to do Bumblefoot surgery, and started in on it tonight. I soaked her feet in Epsom salt water for just a minute or so to wash her dirty feet off. Then I put her under a towel on her side and started.

I watched a YouTube video of a guy just picking the scab off and then working the other gunk out by messaging it out. So I peeled the scab off, which wasn't all that big (about as big as an unpopped popcorn kernel.). It started bleeding, which made seeing in there a bit tricky. I dug I little bit with my tweezers and scalpel, but nothing much more than blood came out for a while.

I was hesitant to make the hole any bigger, since it was good tissue and it would just start bleeding more. I tried just cutting a little bit of the good skin off at a time, then I'd try to work the infection out. Finally, some bloody puss came out. Not much, but some. I worked a little more, when suddenly a big, yellow plug popped out. It was a little less than centimeter long, and about as wide as a pencil, maybe less. I kept trying to work more out after, since my gut told me there was still some in there based on the stiffness of the foot at that point. Then there was this stringy looking white stuff. I would grab onto it with my paper towel or tweezers, and it would tear inside the foot and not pull all the way out. She didn't squirm at all while doing this to her. The bigger part of this stringy stuff had more of a tendon feel. I felt weird pulling on this. Though it was right in huge, middle of the pad, I thought maybe it could have been some sort of ligament or tendon. I stopped pulling and ended the surgery.

At one point, I noticed on the top of her foot, inbetween her toes, the infection was pretty bad, and I could see darkness through the thin skin. I made a small slice and there was a big of bloody puss that came out of there, too.

After stopping with that foot, I realized the other foot had a black scab on it. Other than the black scab, it looks completely normal. I peeled it off but didn't see much under it. There was a yellow hint under the scab, which I poked and scraped at with the scalpel, but it started to bleed healthy blood so I stopped and bandaged both feet up.

I have pictures from before and after, but I'm house sitting and can't get to my desktop computer, and this iPad won't accept my phones pictures. Bah, technology.

Any advice? This is my first surgery and I was very nervous, and I could tell the leghorn was, too.

Aha! Success after all!
This is before.

Just keep it clean and keep it wrapped. Sometimes I use Neosporin, sometimes clear iodine and sometimes vetericyn. I can't decide which works best. Time will tell if you got it all or not. If you didn't it comes back,. There are quite a few threads on here about dealing with it. One recent one uses pipewrap to cushion the foot and let the infection work itself out. You can do a search on here to check out some of the options. Good luck

Yay! Some advice! I put off-brand Neosporin on it, put sterile pads on each cut, and then wrapped each foor in vet wrap. I've seen different posts on how often to change the bandage - I've seen every day all the way to a week with just one wrap after the surgery. Should I rewrap every day?

Everybody probably does have their own way. I usually leave it for two days at a time. Unless it doesn;t seem to be healing as fast as I'd like then I go every day.

I agree with welasharon...change the dressing every 48 hours..you can then assess the healing process and see if the infected area has started to heal or if there may still be any infection present...bathe , apply neosporin or whichever antibiotic cream you use..and re-dress the wounded area..change again each 48 hours until you are satisfied that the infection has gone and ensure that if the bandage/vet wrap gets wet or soiled..change much sooner...the area needs to be dry and very clean after surgery.

Back
Top Bottom