Bumblefoot and Frostbite Help

MelissaVree

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2020
I have a duck with two bad legs. I’ve had her for about a year and she usually gets around fine with a little limp. Today I noticed some bumblefoot and possible some pretty bad frostbite on her feet. What can I do to help both the frostbite and bumblefoot at the same time?

Attachments

• D6486D06-7D1E-44E1-A128-2A12B0F9FAE1.jpeg
    D6486D06-7D1E-44E1-A128-2A12B0F9FAE1.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 13FE2157-33A5-47E0-82BD-D8752A99C0AE.jpeg
    13FE2157-33A5-47E0-82BD-D8752A99C0AE.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A1604B75-77A3-459A-85DC-5F8E30C2D727.jpeg
    A1604B75-77A3-459A-85DC-5F8E30C2D727.jpeg
    293.5 KB · Views: 3
If she has frostbite on her foot or leg, I wouldn't attempt the normal recommendations which is to soak the foot in warm Epsom salt water, apply neosporin, wrap, and keep dry. I'm not seeing frostbite though unless you can provide better photos or circle the possible frost bite in your photos. It looks to me this is all bumblefoot related. If she has more than one sore, it might be best to seek out a vet. She most likely will need antibiotics.

My White Sussex diva had bumblefoot, I just didn't know what it was called at the time! It's been several years. I first noticed that one of her feet was swollen. Nothing red, oozing, infected, just bigger than the other foot. I put her in the sink to wash/soak her feet and take a good look. There was this "plug/bump" thing that I instinctively knew was not supposed to be there. After washing and soaking her feet, I was able to peel away the "plug." I then made a paste with Terramin clay, packed the open area where the plug had been, wrapped her foot and repeated as needed. Foot healed. I found a tiny plug on her recently, was able to just peel off, no further treatment needed - maybe I just caught it early. Anyway, clay, people!

I keep Terramin clay on hand, sometimes shows up as Nutramin. Here is one source: https://www.good-earthstore.com/brands/California-Earth-Minerals.html. I use this for "50 million," things. It's one of Mother Nature's greatest gifts, helping to replenish lost trace minerals, absorb toxins, rebalance the body, eradicate infections. I could write a book on how this has helped me the last two decades since I discovered it. I add it to the diet of all my birds.

One recent example, my retired racer greyhound, Ivy, came down with chronic diarrhea last November. I tried everything, going down the list of possible suspect causes. Nothing helped. Seemed idiopathic. I'm not one to run to the vet, a very, very long story there. Western medicine has cost many lives in my household and am extremely selective as to when I reach for it! Ivy became a walking skeleton! Spirit and participation in life never waivered, so I remained hopeful she would turn a corner. I did try a round of prednisone, a protocol that addresses inflammation, heavy front loading, then weaning. I regret ever having used it on Ivy. I know the risks...

Finally, clay. Liquified a heaping tsp. of clay, syringe fed, twice a day. It stabilizer her, she started eating more and gained weight! I am now in maintenance with her. I believe she has IBS. She has always had a delicate constitution and now at 13 yrs of age, it's showing more. The clay saved her life.

The list of success stories using clay is a mile long. Every medicine chest should have a bag of clay!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom