Bumblefoot: Epsom Salt Soak After Cutting?

SageFay

In the Brooder
Aug 12, 2023
Hey all, I am dealing with my first ever case of bumblefoot. Matilda has it on both feet. Attempted surgery on the larger scab (didn't find a kernel) but just removed the smaller scab without digging down. Cleaned both wounds, applied Neosporin, and wrapped.

I am wondering whether I should give her another epsom salt soak this evening when I check her feet? Some say that this is quite painful on an open wound, should I just rinse the feet with plain warm water?

I have another 2 hens with mild cases, so I will treat them tonight and also examine their area for something that is causing this? I feel so bad for the poor girls!

I would not do a salt soak on open wound. The salt soak is meant to be done before the cutting and removing of the infection.

Keep them clean (wash daily, rewrap, reapply neosporin) and if the infection appears to still be there within next few days, then you can repeat the soaking and removal.

I would not do a salt soak on open wound. The salt soak is meant to be done before the cutting and removing of the infection.

Keep them clean (wash daily, rewrap, reapply neosporin) and if the infection appears to still be there within next few days, then you can repeat the soaking and removal.
Thank you for the response! That is what I'll do.

I brought her in to check her feet and rewrap. I notice now that there might be some infection visible from the top of her foot? Aside from rewraping each day, how should I proceed?

Attachments

• IMG_5531.jpeg
    IMG_5531.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5532.jpeg
    IMG_5532.jpeg
    335.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5533.jpeg
    IMG_5533.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 16
Following because my hen's feet looks like this & I wasn't able to find a kernel at all! There was a lot of blood too but I wasn't sure if I was digging too deep. I've been doing the salt bath first, trying to get the infection out, and clotting/cleaning the area with diluted betadine solution, Neosporin, and veteriyn, then securing with vetrap after everything dried. But is the infection that white, stringy pus? I've been trying to squeeze & get everything out but it's so hard to tell!

Back
Top Bottom