Bumblefoot galore! What went wrong?

Chickens tend to get little scrapes or cuts. They use their feet so much daily that this is almost inevitable. It most likely isn't something you did; however, if you're concerned that there might be a management issue causing so many cases all at once, the first thing you might want to do would be to check coop bedding or roosts for any extreme damp, rough patches, etc.

I say this based on my own experience - in my very first year (first eight months, even) of chicken keeping, I managed to give my entire flock (of fifteen at the time) bumblefoot. That was due to my decision to do deep litter with straw over the winter - it was too heavy for either me or any of the chickens to turn properly, but since I was still very new to chickens, I didn't know how to tell the difference until it had already created a huge problem.

That being said, I use essential oils to treat any cases of bumblefoot in my birds - I use a mix of 42 drops fractionated coconut oil (it stays liquid, unlike regular coconut oil, and I find it makes an excellent carrier oil; the essential oils should never be put directly on without being mixed in some sort of carrier oil first), 7 drops lavender essential oil, 7 drops oregano essential oil, and 7 drops tea tree essential oil. I rub this on the affected foot once (or twice, depending on the severity) per day, wearing gloves every time. No wrapping, soaking, or surgery required, though you can also soak with warm water and Epsom salts to speed the process along. This mixture has reversed even very severe infections in my birds. Mild cases will usually recover in a few weeks, in my own experience. This method is much faster than having to individually soak each chicken. You don't even have to pull the scab, technically, though for severe infection, I will soak every so often and try to remove the scab and any underlying infection to speed things along.

This is just what has worked for me. Others will likely have more suggestions as well. I hope it helps!

Back
Top Bottom