Bumblefoot in a heat wave

AggieKat

Chirping
May 3, 2021
DFW area Texas
We are in the middle of a massively awful heat wave in Texas. Temps are in the hundreds with heat index in the 115-120s. To help my girls, I put out shallow pans of cold water and my main hen, Pepper stands in it a lot during the day. She already has bumblefoot starting on both feet 😢 It’s not horrible and the scabs aren’t hard because she basically spends all day with her feet moist to keep cool.

We dealt with it towards the end of the summer last year so I know the basic treatment… but I don’t know what to do since its so stinking hot and I need her to keep cool in the baths. It hasn’t progressed to very deep or bad but I don’t know how to treat it while also letting her have her feet wet…seems like a losing battle. Any recommendations on how to attack this best? I’m not thinking of really treating it this weekend after these super high temps end.

@Wyorp Rock @azygous and anyone that can advise 🙏🏼

Attachments

• 5BAC3415-9D60-4409-967E-9626838C7746.jpeg
    5BAC3415-9D60-4409-967E-9626838C7746.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
Someone else might have better advice but what I would do is:
- cool epsom salt bath in the evenings
- wash and dry her feet
- put some magnoplasm or drawing ointment on the bumbles, cover with gauze and wrap for overnight.

Then I would either unwrap her feet for the day or leave them wrapped if you’re worried about stones or sharp things on the ground or if she is a diligent forager, or if the constant wetness from her standing in the pool causes issues (I’m thinking too much moisture/pressure between her toes, etc).

Someone else might have better advice but what I would do is:
- cool epsom salt bath in the evenings
- wash and dry her feet
- put some magnoplasm or drawing ointment on the bumbles, cover with gauze and wrap for overnight.

Then I would either unwrap her feet for the day or leave them wrapped if you’re worried about stones or sharp things on the ground or if she is a diligent forager, or if the constant wetness from her standing in the pool causes issues (I’m thinking too much moisture/pressure between her toes, etc).
Good idea to treat at night! I would hate to take her wading pan away but I wonder if I could cool her off another way while I treat her feet? Last time though it took a good 3 weeks or so to fully heal and I wonder if that Vetwrap on her feet would make her too hot for summer?

I would just do the treatment at night and keep her feet wrapped at night and then take it off during the day if you’re worried it will be too hot for her. You could also keep the wrapping on for a day and see how she goes? Refrigerated/cold red foods like tomatoes and strawberries can help with heat stress. You can also put ice cubes in their drinking water. Worse comes to worst and she shows signs of bad heat stress, bring her inside to cool down and recover.

Back
Top Bottom