Bumblefoot in ducks....Tried cures only 2022

keringordon

Songster
5 Years
May 2, 2018
Casa Grande, AZ
I spent several hundred dollars at the vet on a duck with bumblefoot. They gave me some meds and never mentioned bumblefoot. I wasnt allowed in the building...it was during covid. Well it got worse. A year of horror for the duck and Im in Arizona and the only help I could find online was a duck rescue in Michigan. They told me NOT TO cut open the foot. I never listen. It kind of turned into an addiction. A bump here and if opened the pus would come out in a hard state. I thought the first time if I had injected a syringe I could pull out the puss like on a cyst with dogs. Nope. Its like playdoh. One I pulled some out slowly and it was about 6 cm long with roots like a plant at the end. WTF. I was told it tries to attack to the joints and that could make the animal lame. I became knowledgeable on where I could cut and squeeze and where I couldnt. I had a cabinet full of antibiotics I buy in mexico. The only antibiotic that really worked (and I tried many all prescriptions) was Doxy. Two 500mg pills. I thought that was too much but that was the dosage I had read to give ducks.) Anyway that duck healed and the second duck started although much worse because he was bigger. Both are male pekin. I always had these ducks growing up since I came from the duck capitol of the world and were born knowing about these ducks. I however never heard of bumblefoot because we always took immaculate care of them their entire lives. I got these ducks from an old mexican couple who kept them in wire cages off the ground and no pool. They are ducks...what is wrong with people? Well as I write this the duck has been soaking for about an hour and the new strategy is to soak once a day for an hour with epson salt and try to cut off any loose scab so I can get under the infected part and put on Fura-zona and other antibiotic creams with gauze and vet wrap. I am just stumped on the best way to keep it dry. Once it starts to heal I had cut up a yoga mat for padding under the foot which I can adhere with the vet tape. Can I use saran wrap around the foot or cut a sandwich bag? I dont want to do more damage. I have a drawing sauve and I was told it allows crap into the infection as much as it draws stuff out. I dont know if that is true..does anyone? Sorry if this is so long but I want to help others and ask for help as well. Do not cut your ducks foot with a scapel unless you have an idea what you are doing. You can do severe damage. I did it only because if I didnt he would be lame so at least if I tried he had a chance.

@casportpony @Eggcessive I would soak the foot in epsom salt water.
Yes that is step one. I was sitting there for half an hour at a time until I saw a youtuber who cut a hole in the top for their heads to stick out. Now I can leave them in there for an hour soaking and when they come out its easier to scrub the area with a soft toothbrush before deciding what has to be done next.

Yes that is step one. I was sitting there for half an hour at a time until I saw a youtuber who cut a hole in the top for their heads to stick out. Now I can leave them in there for an hour soaking and when they come out its easier to scrub the area with a soft toothbrush before deciding what has to be done next.
That’s smart, maybe call your vet to see what to do next.

I gave my rooster a round of antibiotics (doxy) and soaked his feet in epsom salt every day for a month so the scab & kernel would soften up & come out (using tweezers) I applied peroxide, Betadine & antibiotic ointment on his feet & legs after each soaking. He only wore bandages a week.

I used a milk crate on top of a 2-3 gallon bucket.The 5 gallon was too tall.I propped the milk crate up with some bricks and sat beside him while he soaked.

Advertisement Purina Flock Layer

Back
Top Bottom