Bumblefoot in VERY LARGE rooster

It sounds like he may have a breast blister/abscess. Those are treated with Betadine or chlorhexidene, and if there is abscess, squeeze out the exudate/pus. They may be caused by sleeping on damp or dirty soil or bedding, especially if he did not have a roost or perch.

With bumblefoot, once the scab is removed, a lot of squeezing may be required to get the core out. Soaking in a bathtub with warm soapy water for 20-30 minutes can really help to soften the scab. Some people have used a sugardine dressing for a few days to help soften the scabs. That is clear iodine plus a little sugar on a foot dressing (gauze pad plus vet wrap strips.)

Last edited:
Is it on his breast bone? You can use a scalpel, razor blade or similar to cut through the bumble. I'll see if I can find the video
The bump on his belly is soft and feels like it’s full of fluid. It’s not the same as the bumbles on his feet. It’s about the size of a grape. I just went ahead and made a vet appt for him.

The bump on his belly is soft and feels like it’s full of fluid. It’s not the same as the bumbles on his feet. It’s about the size of a grape. I just went ahead and made a vet appt for him.
Here are some reasons for a breast or keel blister:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...5XGagD9umgMuowiGoAcaAt0WEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It can be better to find out why he has one, than to treat it. Damp bedding, rough roosts, resting on the floor, or spending too much time on the roost can all be causes.
He is quite large and has had issues with his feet since we got him. His difficulty walking and his weight are likely the reasons he will not perch. Because of that, he does lay down a lot but I keep his coop clean and dry. He likes to lay in damp areas because it’s cooler I believe. We live in the Central Valley of California, which gets quite hot in the summer. We keep a pool for them outside and sometimes it gets muddy around the pool. It’s likely he developed it last month when it was still quite hot. He’s molting really bad right now so his stomach is showing more than normal and that’s how I noticed it.

Back
Top Bottom