Bumblefoot, injury, or infection on foot of 4-day-old chick?

akitafriendakita

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2023
My less than week old chick has a very small case of bumblefoot, or maybe an injury? I picked this chick up today and noticed this chick picking at its feet more than others a little, I assumed maybe it was just poop stuck to the foot or something and noticed a bump while cleaning its feet.

The chick is walking fine with no limp, eating and drinking completely fine, and otherwise acting healthy.

Although cleaning the foot is easy, wrapping it seems nearly impossible. I can't get the vet tape to get a grip around the chicks incredibly tiny foot/leg and it won't stick. The best I can do right now is putting drawing salve on it and sticking a tiny piece of gauze to the bump and hoping it sticks, but it's not ideal and falls off easily.

Any ideas on how to wrap it? Maybe a normal bandaid that is cut to fit? It's not ideal due to the chick having booted fuzz on it's feet but not sure what else to do.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    250.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Are you sure it’s bumblefoot? This sounds highly irregular.

As far as covering, if you’re sure it’s cleaned and disinfected, what about liquid bandaid?
Sorry, I was registering and posting and didn't realize this went up. I have no idea if it's bumblefoot btw, is there something else this could be? Do chicks just get like.. zits on their feet sometimes?

The scab itself doesn't appear to be raised above the chicks skin and it doesn't look like a scab/plug, as if it's underneath the skin. Could this be a splinter? If so, I assume drawing salve will still have the same result of pulling it eventually?

The chick seems incredibly healthy and active, likes to run around everywhere compared to its siblings. Maybe it just injured itself somehow before I got it? It does not react to me gently pressing the bump with a q-tip and seems to have no pain.

Is the fuzzy spot the wound.?
Yes, it's like a white zit with a small brown dot in the middle. The dot appears to be under the surface of the skin rather than an exposed scab like normal bumblefoot, the bump is quite round and noticeable compared to the normal darkness of its feet.

I can grab another clearer picture in the morning when I apply liquid bandaid. Right now it has a little tiny custom made bandaid on its ankle, took a bit of effort to make it.

Sorry, I was registering and posting and didn't realize this went up. I have no idea if it's bumblefoot btw, is there something else this could be? Do chicks just get like.. zits on their feet sometimes?

The scab itself doesn't appear to be raised above the chicks skin and it doesn't look like a scab/plug, as if it's underneath the skin. Could this be a splinter? If so, I assume drawing salve will still have the same result of pulling it eventually?

The chick seems incredibly healthy and active, likes to run around everywhere compared to its siblings. Maybe it just injured itself somehow before I got it? It does not react to me gently pressing the bump with a q-tip and seems to have no pain.
I’m definitely not a pro. But I’ve seen some different conditions. I can say that chickens can get damage to their feet that aren’t necessarily bumblefoot.

Those injuries, if they aren’t infected, can be treated by cleaning, disinfecting, and covering.

Back
Top Bottom