Bumblefoot is beyond stubborn

cecimich

Chirping
Mar 7, 2018
Hi. I have a silver laced Wyandotte who has had bumble foot for months now. Every time I think it’s going away I relax the soaking and bandaging and then a few days/weeks later it comes right back. Once I got a decent plug out and felt like I had finally beaten it. But no. Earlier this week I tried to go at it full force again, but couldn’t get a plug. I was able to squeeze some white pus out, but I’m really nervous about digging around in healthy tissue and can’t tell if that’s actually what it is. I’ve thought the scab was normal for healing before, but it never goes away. Here’s a photo from today, after I soaked the scab off 3 days ago and squeezed out some pus and then treated and bandaged it- any opinions about if that’s healthy tissue or infection?

Attachments

• 6D8B5505-FEE4-42A2-A534-5A427A26CD2F.jpeg
    6D8B5505-FEE4-42A2-A534-5A427A26CD2F.jpeg
    389.4 KB · Views: 47
Kinda looks a little infected to me, but I could be wrong. Soaking in epsom salt water, applying Neosporin and/or Vetericyn, and continuing to bandage works well for me. In my experience, a healing scab looks different than an infected scab. Hope she get well soon!

Thanks. I'm soaking in epsom salts and putting on vetericyn and antibiotic ointment, I suppose that's all I can do. I'm just not sure if I need to try to get out more infection or just keep with the status quo of topical treatment.

Just leave it go dont go digging in it. It is not red it looks like it isnhealing put triple antibiotic ointment on it and vetercyn. Also try wrapping your roost bars in hemp or twine with the roost bars being flat they can never let the bumblefoot air out or heal. I would leave it go and try and wrap your roost bars. With doing that air will get to the wound and it will heal and not keep coming back.

Just leave it go dont go digging in it. It is not red it looks like it isnhealing put triple antibiotic ointment on it and vetercyn. Also try wrapping your roost bars in hemp or twine with the roost bars being flat they can never let the bumblefoot air out or heal. I would leave it go and try and wrap your roost bars. With doing that air will get to the wound and it will heal and not keep coming back.
Thanks! So do you bandage the foot? Because that automatically reduces air flow to the wound. I can definitely wrap the roost bars, wondering when I should stop bandaging? Thanks again for your input.

Thanks! So do you bandage the foot? Because that automatically reduces air flow to the wound. I can definitely wrap the roost bars, wondering when I should stop bandaging? Thanks again for your input.
Personally, I like to bandage the foot so no feces ect. get on the wound, but that’s just my opinion.

Last edited:
Personally, I like to bandage the foot so no feces act. get on the wound, but that’s just my opinion.

I agree- feces and open wound seem to logically lead to prolonged infection. Also, not sure if it’s true, but I read to soak gauze in veterycin and then bandage bc chickens, unlike humans, heal better with a wet inside bandage.

I agree- feces and open wound seem to logically lead to prolonged infection. Also, not sure if it’s true, but I read to soak gauze in veterycin and then bandage bc chickens, unlike humans, heal better with a wet inside bandage.
I’ve heard this as well, and maybe it works, but when treating bumblefoot I thought you were supppsed to keep the bedding dry, so a wet bandage didn’t make much sense to me. Maybe it works though:confused:

Back
Top Bottom