Bumblefoot - Is this the beginning?

Buugette

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Is this the beginning of Bumblefoot? She's not limping... it doesn't seem sore... it feels like it might be a scab... so I soaked it and it just softened up. I pulled at it a little... but nothing came off. The picture was taken before I did anything to her foot. Not sure what to do.

32464_phyllis_foot.jpg

Shouldn't I treat now before it gets bad? I see where it says to soak in epson salts... I don't have any... can I use something else? Where can I get Vet Wrap?

You should'nt treat it now. Others have told me not to until they start limping, a sure sign that there's an infection. As it is now, there's no infection and if you perform the surgery,there will be nothing there, and causing needless stress for the chicken (and you.) When and if the time comes you can use a warm salt water soak...walmart sells epsom salt. Vet wrap can be bought a feed store or TSC. I have Vet wrap but I prefer to use duct tape and release the hen back out in the yard. The next day I cut thru it with scissors, soak, squeeze,clean, apply iodine and put neosporin on a small piece of gauze, put it on the bottom of the foot and wrap it up again with duct tape and release the chicken back out in the yard. Repeat until it looks like it's healing. (they heal quick too.)

Yes, treat it now.. there is a thread on here for non-invasive bumble foot sure..(that a VET recommended) and its workong great for everyone...
Check it out! you use a medication soak... tricide-neo..(its a fish medicine) let me know if you can find the thread...
I would NOT cut it open... do the medicated soak instead....
Good luck!

I have tricide neo and redhen is correct, you can use it now without performing surgery. The only two concerns I have about tricide neo is #1. the cost. #2. time. Dont get me wrong, it works great...if you have the time, about 7 minutes a day soaking a chickens foot for at least 6 days up to 2 weeks or more.....if you have the spare time to do that. I didnt have the time and as a personal choice, I chose the surgery and within 4 days maximum, my chickens are all healed from their surgery and back to normal. If one can afford the trineo and provide the time...by all means, I fully support the use of trineo.

Back
Top Bottom