Bumblefoot or sprain injury - what can I do to treat my sweet roo Butch?

qualunquecorsa

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2021
Hi. Two days ago I noticed my sweet Butch crouching not able to stand on his left leg. Food appears reddened between toes and there is green under the scales up his leg. He limps around to his water and food and is eating and drinking well. He also has the drive to be with his hens. One other thing I noticed this morning is his comb tips appear darkenned/purplish. I've had him for close to 6 months after I rescued him from a soup diner by the side of the road. I would imagine he's well into adulthood as you can tell from his spurs. Pics attached. Thanks, you all, for your help.

Attachments

• Butch leg 6 - Good leg.jpg
    Butch leg 6 - Good leg.jpg
    527.9 KB · Views: 13
  • Butch leg 5 - green scales up his leg.jpg
    Butch leg 5 - green scales up his leg.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Butch leg 4 - green scales up his leg.jpg
    Butch leg 4 - green scales up his leg.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Butch leg 3 - green scales up his leg.jpg
    Butch leg 3 - green scales up his leg.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Butch leg 2.jpg
    Butch leg 2.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Butch leg 1.jpg
    Butch leg 1.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi. Two days ago I noticed my sweet Butch crouching not able to stand on his left leg. Food appears reddened between toes and there is green under the scales up his leg. He limps around to his water and food and is eating and drinking well. He also has the drive to be with his hens. One other thing I noticed this morning is his comb tips appear darkenned/purplish. I've had him for close to 6 months after I rescued him from a soup diner by the side of the road. I would imagine he's well into adulthood as you can tell from his spurs. Pics attached. Thanks, you all, for your help.
The scales of his legs appear to lifted. That happens due to scaly leg mites. Those mites are easy to get rid of. Just lather on some petroleum jelly or any oil, on his legs. The purpose is to suffocate the mites. Then again, I'm no expert.

The scales of his legs appear to lifted. That happens due to scaly leg mites. Those mites are easy to get rid of. Just lather on some petroleum jelly or any oil, on his legs. The purpose is to suffocate the mites. Then again, I'm no expert.
I'm not seeing any sign of mites.

The green on the leg is bruising. The bumblefoot on the toe looks more serious than on the footpad. You can soak his feet and legs in some warm Epsom salts water. Then you could try to remove the bumblefoot scab and try to get any pus or plug out of it. Apply a gauze pad after applying some plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment and wrap the foot with vet wrap, but not too tight. Check that the circulation is good. Then I would rub some vaseline up and into the leg scales to smother any mites.

I'm newer to chickens, so I'm not sure on everything else, but the bottom of his foot looks like its got bumblefoot on his middle toe and in the center. I would soak in epsom salt for 10-15 mins. Then try to remove the bumble and any other infection in there, then apply neosporin and a gauze and wrap. You can use the link on how to wrap properly that was posted near the beginning of the thread. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom