Bumblefoot Post Surgery Concerns

Griff63

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2020
Hey guys, I once again need yalls help.
I have a chicken who has had bumble foot for the last few weeks. A few days ago we decided to perform a surgery to remove it. It was our first time attempting this, but we tried our best. We removed the top layer of skin and the black spot that was on her foot thinking THAT was the "kernal". We then wrapped her foot up, and freed her. She seemed to walk better right away, and we thought that was the end of our worries. However, things quickly went south.

Two days passed. We noticed she was getting worse again, and feared that we hadnt removed all of the infection since we just cut off the black spot. We decided to investigate when we re-dressed her wound that night. When we looked at her foot again, it was red, blue and really really swollen. We had to cut the wrappings off and feared they may have cut off her circulation. We also went ahead and re opened the wound, finally finding what I am almost positive was the kernal. With that done, our biggest concern was that we had cut off circulation to her foot. It looked awful. We re dressed it and loosely wrapped it this time.

Another day passed and her foot LOOKS better, at least from what I can see. It is still red and a bit swollen though. More concerning however is that our hen really doesnt want to walk on it. She sits as much as she can, and flaps her wings when she walks to keep weight off of it. Is this normal?? I am really worried for a lot of reasons that we did more harm than good for her. Do chickens usually not want to walk after the surgery? Are their feet usually red and swollen? ANY help or information will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
A worried first-time surgeon 😬

Hey guys, I once again need yalls help.
I have a chicken who has had bumble foot for the last few weeks. A few days ago we decided to perform a surgery to remove it. It was our first time attempting this, but we tried our best. We removed the top layer of skin and the black spot that was on her foot thinking THAT was the "kernal". We then wrapped her foot up, and freed her. She seemed to walk better right away, and we thought that was the end of our worries. However, things quickly went south.

Two days passed. We noticed she was getting worse again, and feared that we hadnt removed all of the infection since we just cut off the black spot. We decided to investigate when we re-dressed her wound that night. When we looked at her foot again, it was red, blue and really really swollen. We had to cut the wrappings off and feared they may have cut off her circulation. We also went ahead and re opened the wound, finally finding what I am almost positive was the kernal. With that done, our biggest concern was that we had cut off circulation to her foot. It looked awful. We re dressed it and loosely wrapped it this time.

Another day passed and her foot LOOKS better, at least from what I can see. It is still red and a bit swollen though. More concerning however is that our hen really doesnt want to walk on it. She sits as much as she can, and flaps her wings when she walks to keep weight off of it. Is this normal?? I am really worried for a lot of reasons that we did more harm than good for her. Do chickens usually not want to walk after the surgery? Are their feet usually red and swollen? ANY help or information will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
A worried first-time surgeon 😬
It really depends on how bad the infection was. Do you have pics you can post?

Back
Top Bottom