Bumblefoot Question

I have an old dental tool. Your manicure scissors should work. The link has a lot of great photos. Good luck!
Thanks so much! That is helpful. I may also see if I can get a scalpel if the scissors don't work. I was using blunt tweeters because I was afraid of poking her too much, but I see I may have to be more aggressive.

Well, I think we had some success!

I got the scab off today (the drawing salve had shrunk it up a bit), and this came off with it. I dug around down in the hole to see if there was anything else, but everything else felt like good skin. Nothing hard, and nothing else would come out. Now if I can just keep her bandage on her. She's already trying to get it off. I thought about spraying it with Blue-kote.

Not a great picture, but here is what came off with the scab. Does that look about right?

Attachments

• IMG_0315.PNG
    IMG_0315.PNG
    4.2 MB · Views: 11
Well, I think we had some success!

I got the scab off today (the drawing salve had shrunk it up a bit), and this came off with it. I dug around down in the hole to see if there was anything else, but everything else felt like good skin. Nothing hard, and nothing else would come out. Now if I can just keep her bandage on her. She's already trying to get it off. I thought about spraying it with Blue-kote.

Not a great picture, but here is what came off with the scab. Does that look about right?
Sure does. If you use vetwrap, I added insurance by using a small piece of duct tape to secure the end. Be forewarned, you may have to cut it off later, as it doesn't unstick very easily. Glad the bumble is out. Yay! You are now a chief surgeon.

Sure does. If you use vetwrap, I added insurance by using a small piece of duct tape to secure the end. Be forewarned, you may have to cut it off later, as it doesn't unstick very easily. Glad the bumble is out. Yay! You are now a chief surgeon.
That's such a relief. And it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for your help! I did use vetwrap with some sports tape over it, and so far, that's working. I'll keep the duct tape in mind in case that changes while she's healing up. She's already putting more weight on it and moving around more than she was the other night when I first noticed she was in bad shape!

That's such a relief. And it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks for your help! I did use vetwrap with some sports tape over it, and so far, that's working. I'll keep the duct tape in mind in case that changes while she's healing up. She's already putting more weight on it and moving around more than she was the other night when I first noticed she was in bad shape!
You're welcome. Hope she heals quickly!

You're welcome. Hope she heals quickly!
Well, I decided to leave her bandage off tonight, and I’m hoping that was the right decision. It seems to be scabbed over and she’s walking almost normally (there’s an occasional limp but I don’t think anyone else would notice it, it’s so minor) and she will put her full weight on it to scratch or dig with her other foot (which she couldn’t do when I first noticed it). And most of the swelling is gone. I felt it really well to make sure there was nothing hard left in it, and I cleaned it with disinfectant before I put her down, though I will pat myself on the back and say I must have done a good job with bandaging because it always stayed on and stayed super clean. 😂 She did peck it at it a couple of times after we put her back outside, but otherwise she’s acting normal - running, jumping, scratching, etc. Does this sound right for about 8 days after removal? I’ll just keep an eye on her. Thanks again!

Well, I decided to leave her bandage off tonight, and I’m hoping that was the right decision. It seems to be scabbed over and she’s walking almost normally (there’s an occasional limp but I don’t think anyone else would notice it, it’s so minor) and she will put her full weight on it to scratch or dig with her other foot (which she couldn’t do when I first noticed it). And most of the swelling is gone. I felt it really well to make sure there was nothing hard left in it, and I cleaned it with disinfectant before I put her down, though I will pat myself on the back and say I must have done a good job with bandaging because it always stayed on and stayed super clean. 😂 She did peck it at it a couple of times after we put her back outside, but otherwise she’s acting normal - running, jumping, scratching, etc. Does this sound right for about 8 days after removal? I’ll just keep an eye on her. Thanks again!
🥳 Yes, she's golden! Congratulations 👏 you can be proud and feel accomplished. Thanks for the update!

🥳 Yes, she's golden! Congratulations 👏 you can be proud and feel accomplished. Thanks for the update!
Thank you! She's still doing well today, though she has pecked at it a time or two — I'm sure it's still sore. She's very active though and not favoring the other foot at all. I'm going out of town next week and leaving my dad in charge of the flock, so thanks for making me feel better about it!

Thank you! She's still doing well today, though she has pecked at it a time or two — I'm sure it's still sore. She's very active though and not favoring the other foot at all. I'm going out of town next week and leaving my dad in charge of the flock, so thanks for making me feel better about it!
You're welcome! Now you can go without worrying about her well being. Have a great time! Happy to help.

You're welcome! Now you can go without worrying about her well being. Have a great time! Happy to help.
Thanks! I'm actually leaving today and as soon as I woke up my dad said "the chicken with the bumblefoot" has a problem. Basically, the "problem" was that she had a feather stuck to her foot. She's still walking fine and seems healthier than she has in a while so I'm just going to leave her be for the few days I'm gone. We'll revisit this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom