Bumblefoot? Should I cage her?

Hollyannkelly

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2023
Pasadena, CA
Large, 9mo Brahma, she’s heavy. Started laying eggs on floor of coop 3-4 days ago, I didn’t know who yet. Now notice limping. I was a vet tech so I thought I’d be able to see Bumblefoot but I don’t. One toe is red but no lump seen. I’ll try again to find unscented Epsom salt today. Only have eucalyptus. I have read to encourage exercise but may be an injury? The other chickens are nice to her so far so I’m thinking best not to cage her?? What do you see in pics? Can only cage in coop or in cold garage. Also concerned she’s going to get egg bound in a cage? Eating/drinking ok.
IMG_3254.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3255.jpeg
    IMG_3255.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
I would not cage her. I don’t see any bumblefoot, just some pinkness on the foot pad. The last picture looks like she or another have been pulling out feathers on the foot. Consider looking for and treating for possible scaly leg mites. Also look for mite ps or lice on her body.

I would not cage her. I don’t see any bumblefoot, just some pinkness on the foot pad. The last picture looks like she or another have been pulling out feathers on the foot. Consider looking for and treating for possible scaly leg mites. Also look for mite ps or lice on her body.
Thanks. I don’t think she has mites, pic looks different than in person but I’ll keep checking and the others. She’s limping pretty bad so I’ve caged her in the coop. There are things they jumps on/off, now removed. Do you know if caging can cause egg binding? I had her caged yesterday, let her out to be on the floor last night and she promptly laid an egg.

Hmm don’t see any bumble foot. I would still do epsom salt just in case and it would also help with whatever injury there seems to be. Wouldn’t cage her but do what you think is best!

Large, 9mo Brahma, she’s heavy. Started laying eggs on floor of coop 3-4 days ago, I didn’t know who yet. Now notice limping. I was a vet tech so I thought I’d be able to see Bumblefoot but I don’t. One toe is red but no lump seen. I’ll try again to find unscented Epsom salt today. Only have eucalyptus. I have read to encourage exercise but may be an injury? The other chickens are nice to her so far so I’m thinking best not to cage her?? What do you see in pics? Can only cage in coop or in cold garage. Also concerned she’s going to get egg bound in a cage? Eating/drinking ok.
View attachment 3730358
My rooster just had this! I've had several round abouts with bumblefoot and frostbite and this just did not present itself that way. We brought him in and soaked his toe in warm epsom salt water and then treated it like a bacterial thing. We put collodial silver on it but you can also use vetericyn which you can get at the feed store and then dried his toe off. He seems to be way better now! Good luck.

If you could try to get a video of her walking tomorrow and upload it to YouTube or a similar site, posting a link here, it sometimes can be helpful. Watch to make sure no one is bothering her with her limp. How high are your roosts? You may want to prevent her from jumping up and down to the roost by caging her in the evenings overnight.

Do you know if caging can cause egg binding? I had her caged yesterday, let her out to be on the floor last night and she promptly laid an egg.
Being in the cage should not cause egg binding.

As you saw, a hen may try to hold her egg, but what you didn't see is that she will eventually lay the egg in the cage if she is not released to go somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom