Bumblefoot "surgery" done but unsure if sucessful

aarendse182

In the Brooder
Dec 13, 2016
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
She is almost 3 and is a silver laced wyandotte. She lost a tiny bit of weight, but is also molting with the rest who have all looked like weight has been lost. But not an alarming amount.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Sam doesn't walk well. She walks as though she is drunk. Cant roost. Eats and drinks normal. Still tries to run if she thinks we have treats. Sits down a lot.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
This is day 4. Today is the first day we saw the black spots on the feet and found what may be the culprit. Originally we thought she could be egg bound or have an ear infection as there were so few symptoms and bumblefoot didnt come up with precious Google searches.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
1 other bird has a tiny black spot that will be looked at closer tomorrow. She also has a growth between 2 toes. She is a different breed, Austra White.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None that I can find.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
They have recently found the good digging spot under my sunroom. Lots of new bugs and unturned earth for them to explore. I really dont know what all is under there because I have never gone under there. I will now though. Otherwise, I have no idea.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She eats normal. Layer pellets, meal worms, bread, luttace, spinach, worms, grass clippings, bugs of all kinds she finds.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Half her poops are normal and half look normal in color but runny.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
My mom and I did surgery on her foot. We peeled the scab off and got a small chunk out of each foot. There wasn't a huge whole like in most photos I saw and zero cheese like substance. Besides the scab and tiny hard spot, nothing else looked like all the other photos online.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I gotta do it all myself. No vets within 2 hours of me do chickens.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
2 different feet affected.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use.
The girls have just dirt in the main run as they ate every last speck of green in it. The coop has straw in the nesting boxes and pellet type bedding on the floors and under the roost.

Currently my girl is in a dog kennel with a towel, food, and water with electrolytes in my office. I bandaged her feet up after we removed everything that seemed loose and willing to come off. We will be checking her feet every day. Any help would be amazing. I dont wanna loose my girls and am already planning changes to their area to make it more foot friendly.
20181103_131251.jpg
20181103_131245.jpg
20181103_131251.jpg
20181103_131245.jpg

Have you taken precautions to make sure it doesn’t get an infection?
Yes we have. I used neosporin under the bandage and will be changing out her towel frequently so she doesn't step in her own droppings. She is not a fan of the bandage on her feet right now.

Sam doesn't walk well. She walks as though she is drunk. Cant roost. Eats and drinks normal. Still tries to run if she thinks we have treats. Sits down a lot.

This is day 4. Today is the first day we saw the black spots on the feet and found what may be the culprit.

She eats normal. Layer pellets, meal worms, bread, luttace, spinach, worms, grass clippings, bugs of all kinds she finds.
The Bumblefoot may have made her walk like a drunk, time will tell.
Check the feet daily, treat and rewrap.
If she is till acting drunk after a day or 2 then you need to investigate further.

Check her for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying in the mornings and see that she is eating her normal feed. Since she is molting, she would probably benefit from an increase in protein and poultry vitamins as well.

Back
Top Bottom