Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
Do you directly insert the neosporin into the cleaned out area? And will I be able to let the chicken out with the other chickens afterward?@ruth

I think you can. As far as letting her back out with the other chickens, I wouldn't if you can help it. You need to bandage the foot well and keep her in a dry place. If their house/run is dry and the foot is bandaged well, you probably can. You will have to change the bandages every couple of days, apply more ointment, rebandage, until the wound is completely closed and scab almost gone. Don't want poop and wet mud, etc., getting back into the wound or you will be doing it all over again.

Sorry if this has been asked before...

1. If they have bumble on both feet, is it ok to treat both feet at the same time?
2. I read where some were using Baytril as an antibiotic. This requires a vet prescription and I don't have a vet that will write one. Do you just skip it or use something over the counter?

I have a SS with one bad foot and a RSL with two bad feet. Guess these girls are determined to teach me a thing or two.

Good thread, I'll keep reading. Thanks to those with experience willing to share.

1. If they have bumble on both feet, is it ok to treat both feet at the same time?
2. I read where some were using Baytril as an antibiotic. This requires a vet prescription and I don't have a vet that will write one. Do you just skip it or use something over the counter?

I have a SS with one bad foot and a RSL with two bad feet. Guess these girls are determined to teach me a thing or two.

Good thread, I'll keep reading. Thanks to those with experience willing to share.
One *can* get Baytril without a prescription:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/959119/baytril-enrofloxacin-sources

-Kathy

There's no need to use Baytril nor any other antibiotics if the infection (bumble) has been completely removed, and proper dressings applied after surgery. There will be no swelling, no redness, no limping....no need to give oral meds nor injections.

There's no need to use Baytril nor any other antibiotics if the infection (bumble) has been completely removed, and proper dressings applied after surgery. There will be no swelling, no redness, no limping....no need to give oral meds nor injections.

Thank you @dawg53 . This will be my first time attempting this so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it turns out well for my girls.

Back
Top Bottom