Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics
This peacock had these sores on both his feet:

So I cleaned them with Chlorhexidine, applied neosporin and a no stick pad, then wrapped the pad on with lots of gauze for padding and then lightly wrapped the gauze with vet-wrap like this:

If I had to do it again I would not use the beige tape at the top of the bandage.

-Kathy

Last edited:
This peacock had these sores on both his feet:

So I cleaned them with Chlorhexidine, applied neosporin and a no stick pad, then wrapped the pad on with lots of gauze for padding and then lightly wrapped the gauze with vet-wrap like this:

If I had to do it again I would not use the beige tape at the top of the bandage.

-Kathy
Kathy, all your photos were great to see the detail of wrapping, but I have to say...LOVE this picture!
big_smile.png

You've been very helpful and more than generous with your time posting info on this subject. Thank you so much!

Yesterday I did the surgery on my SS. She tolerated it pretty well (DH had her loosely wrapped in a towel) but she hasn't quit picking at her wrappings since. I've had to replace them twice now. Anyone have any hints on how to keep the wrapped bandage on?

Yesterday I did the surgery on my SS. She tolerated it pretty well (DH had her loosely wrapped in a towel) but she hasn't quit picking at her wrappings since. I've had to replace them twice now. Anyone have any hints on how to keep the wrapped bandage on?

I use duct tape instead of vet wrap. You can cut it into strips and use it like vet wrap. The gauze covering the hole will stay dry too, and you wont have to change it out for a couple of days. Duct tape cant be picked off by the bird.
To remove the duct tape, use sharp scissors to carefully cut vertically up or down on the birds leg and change gauze and rewrap if necessary.

@dawg53 , I never thought of duct tape. You're awesome, thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom