Bumblefoot

No it wont clear up you have to cut it out and then wrap it to prevent infection
So I tried to get one out this morning and had no success. She does not like me touching her feet and will not sit still. I read on a lot of them that they need to soak their feet for 10 mins and the bumble should be able to be squeezed out. She panics and i ended up just making her bleed. How do you soak them?

So I tried to get one out this morning and had no success. She does not like me touching her feet and will not sit still. I read on a lot of them that they need to soak their feet for 10 mins and the bumble should be able to be squeezed out. She panics and i ended up just making her bleed. How do you soak them?
I've delt with bumblefoot several times and the best thing I've ever used is tricide-neo. It has to be ordered online or anywhere that sells antibiotics for fish. Soak her feet with water and tricide-neo every night for about 5 minutes and it should clear up. It takes longer to treat, but it works. I don't remember exactly how much to use, but you can find that online.
If you have to go with the surgery, soak her feet in very warm water with Epsom salt for 10 minutes and hold her on her side on a table to keep her from moving. I usually have someone else hold them down so i can focus on the feet. Although you don't want to hurt her, don't be afraid to use some force when you squeeze her foot. You're usualy not gonna get it all out in a short amount of time, usually it takes about an hour of working at the foot. After you're done, spray woth vetricin and fill up the wound with Neosporin. Then wrap it up so it won't get infected.
I've had chickens who had a sore on their foot and it cleared up on its own, but thats only if it's a teeny tiny scab with no swelling.

Last edited:
I've delt with bumblefoot several times and the best thing I've ever used is tricide-neo. It has to be ordered online or anywhere that sells antibiotics for fish. Soak her feet with water and tricide-neo every night for about 5 minutes and it should clear up. It takes longer to treat, but it works. I don't remember exactly how much to use, but you can find that online.

I will look that up. Did you have to cut it out at all or try to push it out? How long do you think it should take. She has about 4 on one foot and 2 on the other. She’s not limping though but a couple are fairly large. It just makes me nervous cutting at it and not being able to get it out.

I will look that up. Did you have to cut it out at all or try to push it out? How long do you think it should take. She has about 4 on one foot and 2 on the other. She’s not limping though but a couple are fairly large. It just makes me nervous cutting at it and not being able to get it out.
I had used it on a hen with a ton of swelling. Somehow she was walking fine, but the infection was really bad. I had already done surgery on her feet and it didn't help. I had to soak her for roughly 3 weeks. I wasn't keeping track. Just keep soaking her until the scab falls off naturally. It will heal the infection from the inside. I never had anything come out when I soaked her, but some people have said that the infection came out on its own after enough soaking.

Back
Top Bottom