Bumblefoot??

Dom95

Chirping
Mar 7, 2021
Hi there! So a few days ago it was over 100 degrees on our property and a few members of the flock got out and we found them pretty quickly but they were standing on the hot brick. Later that night it looked like a few that were on the brick got burned on the pads of their feet but not bad. By the next morning it developed dark spots and now a couple days later and it’s very dark. We’ve never seen it develop like this or this quick.
We’re worried about bumblefoot and what suggestions to take on at this point? We have 3 silkies that all have identical feet and we’re worried!!

so far we’ve been doing 20 minute epsom salt soaks and poultry vet wound spray as well as tea tree oil and Manuka honey before wrapping them.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you!!

Attachments

• E0DA1A77-18B5-40F3-9429-2BC3B30AC097.jpeg
    E0DA1A77-18B5-40F3-9429-2BC3B30AC097.jpeg
    459.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 6AE77AFD-71BF-4561-A360-C1BDEFADAE9A.jpeg
    6AE77AFD-71BF-4561-A360-C1BDEFADAE9A.jpeg
    546.7 KB · Views: 15
Hello :)
Well, I don't believe burns are a cause of bumblefoot - nor is it something multiple chickens would get simultaneously. I think a burn is more likely and would treat it as such, as you have.

Were the chickens noticeably in pain from the heat of the brick? That's got to be pretty hot!
I think you are doing everything you should. Perhaps apply some Neomycin?
I might not wrap them at this point as you don't want to seal the heat in.

Keep us posted on how they are doing and good luck!

Hello :)
Well, I don't believe burns are a cause of bumblefoot - nor is it something multiple chickens would get simultaneously. I think a burn is more likely and would treat it as such, as you have.

Were the chickens noticeably in pain from the heat of the brick? That's got to be pretty hot!
I think you are doing everything you should. Perhaps apply some Neomycin?
I might not wrap them at this point as you don't want to seal the heat in.

Keep us posted on how they are doing and good luck!
Thank you! Is it possible the burn could turn into bumblefoot? We’ve just never experienced this type of injury to a lot of the flock and are worried!
but yes they were noticeably in pain and it was heart breaking to see they got on the brick! Thank you for all the advice!

Well, first let me state I'm not an expert. Nor do I play one on TV.
My understanding of Bumblefoot is that it is caused by pressure to the pads of the foot resulting in inflammation. That said, any injury to the foot can allow bacteria in and Bumblefoot can develop. My best guess is that these are burns and should be treated as such.
Let's see if someone with more knowledge is available to answer your question and recommend a treatment path.
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous @casportpony

I'll follow this and see how you are doing.

Hi there! So a few days ago it was over 100 degrees on our property and a few members of the flock got out and we found them pretty quickly but they were standing on the hot brick. Later that night it looked like a few that were on the brick got burned on the pads of their feet but not bad. By the next morning it developed dark spots and now a couple days later and it’s very dark. We’ve never seen it develop like this or this quick.
We’re worried about bumblefoot and what suggestions to take on at this point? We have 3 silkies that all have identical feet and we’re worried!!

so far we’ve been doing 20 minute epsom salt soaks and poultry vet wound spray as well as tea tree oil and Manuka honey before wrapping them.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you!!
Looks like Bumblefoot.
If it were from being on hot brick the toes would show signs of damage as well.

Since you have been soaking and applying honey/ointment, then treat the Bumblefoot without cutting may be a good option for you. I don't like cutting into the foot unless I can't treat it any other way. Most of the time, I've been able to remove infection without cutting. The instructions in this article will walk you through it.
https://www.tillysnest.com/2015/12/non-surgical-bumblefoot-treatment-html/

Surgical removal
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

@jonalisa and @Wyorp Rock have given you terrific advice. Treating for burns the way you are doing is the wisest course. If it's bumblefoot, it's early stage where Vetericyn sprayed on it a couple times a day should be adequate treatment.

Bumblefoot can be caused by any sort of injury - impact, abrasion, laceration. It develops into bumblefoot from the initial injury when bacteria enters the wound, causing secondary infection. Caring for a wound in the very beginning can prevent bacteria from getting in, thus preventing bumblefoot.

Bumblefoot involves infection and pus that needs to be removed and treated. You are doing well, so far, to prevent this.

Back
Top Bottom