Bumblefoot

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
After an Epsom salt bath, and then lots of squeezing and manipulating, we got this out of my hens foot. Is it the kernel from bumblefoot? She has the characteristic black scab before we started

The pic shows what feels like a rock hard lump of grissle!!

Attachments

• IMG-20210919-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20210919-WA0016.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 14
Bumble foot is a result of an infection. Protect hens foot, and apply some OTC antibiotic lotion. Keep gauze bandage (change daily) until totally healed.
Then look to possible causes. Sharp items where hen lands :old :idunno ,, also often the landing from high roosts is a factor. The impact is strong enough to cause small open wound,,,,, leading to infection.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Bumble foot is a result of an infection. Protect hens foot, and apply some OTC antibiotic lotion. Keep gauze bandage (change daily) until totally healed.
Then look to possible causes. Sharp items where hen lands :old :idunno ,, also often the landing from high roosts is a factor. The impact is strong enough to cause small open wound,,,,, leading to infection.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thank you. I've cleaned with antimicrobial and packed with antibiotic ointment, and then gauze wrapped. Do you think those lumps are the kernels?

Thank you. I've cleaned with antimicrobial and packed with antibiotic ointment, and then gauze wrapped. Do you think those lumps are the kernels?
You did everything correctly. :thumbsup
Whatever you extracted,, probably was the Kernels. :old:idunno
If it came out in the process of cleaning out the bumble-foot injury.
I never personally dealt with bumble-foot in my flock.
I have read many articles, and posts about it.
I usually link this article. When I respond to bumble-foot postings. The website is owned by The Chicken Chick. I used to see her postings here on BYC. :thumbsup
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Here is a copy of pix of kernel from her site.
kernel.PNG

Back
Top Bottom