Bumblefoot

Tiss

Songster
9 Years
May 8, 2010
Georgia
I diagnosed one of my RSL with Bumblefoot earlier this week (I found a great "how-to" post on BYC). Tuesday I soaked the scab off and dug the waxy stuff out of her foot. I was concerned that I hadn't gotten it all, so Wednesday I went in and got the rest of it out.

Daily, I have soaked the foot, treated with Neosporin and re-bandaged it. It doesn't seems to be bothering her as much as before and she's not really limping on it, but it still looks swollen. How long does it usually take for the swelling to go down or should I be concerned that I didn't get all the Bumble? I'd really hate to have to cut her a 3rd time.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I really don't have experience with this but I believe you should also be treating with an antiobiotic but need a vet analysis of the kind of antiobiotic necessary... Be careful for yourself, The staph does apparently migrate from bird to human so I would work with gloves us because as a farmer I always have cuts on my hand....

Thanks, Bargain, I should have mentioned, I wore gloves when treating her and have her separated from the flock with antibiotic in the water. I just hope that swelling goes down soon.
hmm.png

If it seems swollen she probably has more infection in the foot. Soak the foot again this time adding provodone iodine to the water so it looks like tea. The provodone iodine you can get at any pharmacy. Not expensive. Use water that is pretty warm but not hot. If she will let you massage the foot while it is soaking to loosen up all the goo that is still trapped. Take off the scab and see if you can squeeze any pus out. If he bleeds a bit that's OK. Have a pair of tweezers nearby so you can try to grab the core of the infection. Looks like a piece of corn. Same color too. It should come out in one piece.

When you get it out dry her foot and use a cotton swab to put straight provodone iodine in the hole. I usually get a tiny piece of cotton ball soaked with the iodine and put it in the hole and wrap the foot well. If you do put iodine and cotton in the hole make sure it is flat against the bottom of her foot so when she walks on it it doesn't feel like she is walking on a stone.

What kind of antibiotics are you using? It might not be effective against the kind of infection you have.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. The swelling looks down on one side between her toes but not so much on the other. I'm using duramycin, well, because it's all I have here. What do you recommend as an antibiotic? What dosage?

I really hate having to cut her again. The last time I cleaned it out, it appeared I was down to tissue, but I'm new to this. I got a lot of yellowish waxy stuff out, but it all came out in bits and pieces.
sad.png

Chickens are really very good at fighting infection. I don't use antibiotics but it does sound like you might need one. Ask others about what they would use or consult a vet.

I know you hate to cut her again but you just might have to pull the scab if it is healing. A really good soak should loosen the scab and a good massage of the foot should loosen things up to squeeze out. I know it's like wax but you have to get the center out.

I don't advocate the use of antibiotics. You have to know what the infection is before a medicine can be prescribed. That's why there are so many antibiotic resistant infections out there now.

There used to be a member on here named threehorses. I don't see her around much anymore. If anyone knew what to do she would know.

I'm really lucky, my vet is affordable.

Back
Top Bottom