1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lulu1943, May 30, 2011.

1. Lulu1943

Lulu1943 New Egg

May 30, 2011
    I have a very tame hen that I have been treating for bumble foot for months. I have read hours worth of "cure all's" none have worked. I have had a vet treat her with Tetracycline with no improvement. I have talked with people who have been successful treating this horrible disease. But in all honesty, I really don't believe there is a cure. I have tried at least twenty or these so called "cures" without luck. At this point I have just about given up on the antibotics. Her foot is very swollen. I have opened the scab three times there is no puss only blood. I have used all the recommended soaks, also the iodine and sugar treatment,along with numerous salves. This morning as a last ditch effort I started using Trimethoprim/Sulfa powder. One and a half teaspoons to a gallon of spring water. It is supposed to treat forms of staph infections. I am hoping this is the magic bullet I am searching for. Has anyone used this treatment and what were the results?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. Just for your information, bumblefoot is not a disease, it's an infection. I've never heard of anyone dealing with bumblefoot for months as you have. The staph infection wouldve taken over her body and she would not have survived, even penicillin has a tough time stopping the infection. Have you tried tricide neo? Here's a link to read up on it if you wish.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303829
    There is one other possibility depending on the age of your hen. If she's an older hen, she might have gout and not bumblefoot. Gout can cause swelling of the joints and/or feet. Cutting into it is useless, there isnt any puss to be found. You can google "poultry gout" as there are much information regarding gout in poultry. A change in diet might be required in your hens situation to help control gout, if that's what it is.

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Good luck with her [​IMG]

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    [​IMG] from Indiana!!!!! [​IMG]

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Pride, Louisiana! Hope you figure out what's wrong with your girl!!

9. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC, glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by