Bump on eye?

MrsBrooke, when I got Gilda out of the roost this morning, that eye is completely clouded over. I do not think she can even see out of it. I'm worried about her. Any ideas?

Is it bubbly at all? Check for debris, wash it out with saline water, and maybe put a dot of Neosporin on her little bump.

Could you post a photo?

I had a chicken get pecked in the eye and it clouded up, too. It has since cleared and she sees just fine as far as I can tell. :)

There she is all cloudy. :)

MrsB

Is it bubbly at all? Check for debris, wash it out with saline water, and maybe put a dot of Neosporin on her little bump.

Could you post a photo?

I had a chicken get pecked in the eye and it clouded up, too. It has since cleared and she sees just fine as far as I can tell. :)

There she is all cloudy. :)

MrsB

After my post, I ran to TS and was able to get some Vetericyn Eye Wash. They were out of Terramycin Eye ointment so I ordered from Amazon and it should be here today. Also, I added some Aureomycin 4G Medicated Crumbles to her feed. When I used the eye wash, it would bubble up and the eye would clear for a little bit then go back and, yes, I could tell it was bubbly in the corner. After she started eating her feed with the Aureomycin, it stopped filming over. The tissue is still swollen so I can see just the iris and a little around it now, but she can see me with that eye. I had purchased the Aureoymycin in between the Oxytetracycline and the Tylan-50 but only got to use it one day on my 3 new pullets because of Hurricane Matthew and I noticed yesterday it seems designed for bacterial infections.

Thanks so much for your continued help!

Oh, and I noticed that the nasal discharge she is still having is only coming out of the nostril on the same side as her eye bump eye. If that helps!

Has there been any change in the bump? Color? Size? Hard? Soft?

Post an update pic of her eye if you can?

As long as she's eating and drinking, I'd keep doing what you're doing assuming there are no sudden, drastic changes. :)

MrsB

Finally got a pic! We have been using the ointment 3 days now applying 3 times a day.

She is eating and drinking. Sometimes she plays and runs around with her sister but she is definitely not as active as the others. She goes into the coop and roosts and that's where I found her to take her pic this morning. None of my other girls are picking on her which is good.

It looks like the bump is scabbing over.

I've got a mama, too, that got punched in the eye the other day by someone. She's squinty and keeps it closed... I can tell it hurts her, because, like your mama, she kinda wanders away to preen and scratch around by herself, and she's a little slower, too. No other symptoms, so I'm just watching her.

If you see that bump start to grow, we might take alternate action, but I feel a wait-and-see approach should be okay for now. :) Keep it up with the ointment!

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom