Bump on roosters comb

JumpysTheName

Hatching
Jun 25, 2016
I've noticed that my rooster has had this little bump on his comb and I can't tell whether if it is fowl pox, avian pox, or any possible disease. Also he is about 3-4 months old. Please help :(

Thank you! Glad to be part of BYC!
It can't be, it's the only rooster I have and I mean it's possible it can be from a spider or mosquito
hmm.png
but I can't be fully sure.

Is he with any other chickens (pullets/girls)?
If he is,they will most certainly peck/pick at his comb. It doesn't matter what gender the chicken is, they all are susceptible for peck marks.
smile.png

You could put some gel medicine on the whole comb, the stuff kids put on their scratches. It stops the pecking and gives the sore time to heal, because it seems like they don't like the taste of the medicine.

Is he with any other chickens (pullets/girls)?
If he is,they will most certainly peck/pick at his comb. It doesn't matter what gender the chicken is, they all are susceptible for peck marks.:)

No, he is the only chicken/hen/rooster I have so there is no possible way of it being a peck mark. :/ but thank you for the info :)

No, he is the only chicken/hen/rooster I have so there is no possible way of it being a peck mark.
hmm.png
but thank you for the info
smile.png
OK, so he's the only chicken you have
smile.png

It could be an insect bite, you can leave it alone an see if it heals fine on it's own or you can apply some plain neosporin, vetericyn or iodine to the scab. Don't pick it of let it be. Pecks, bites, and injuries to combs and wattle are common and usually don't need much attention.

If you have him outside you may want to take steps to help reduce mosquito, ant, fly, pest populations, they can sometimes cause what is called Fowl Pox, but that is usually a break out on the whole comb and wattles. It will generally resolve itself in about 2weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom