Bump on top of chicken's foot...

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
Today I noticed one of my chickens has a large pimple looking thing on the top if it's foot near the toes. It is white near the top of the lump and brown (color of her feet) near the bottom of the lump. I'd say the lump is about the size of a m&m. It doesn't appear to be painful and she acts perfectly normal. Any ideas of what this could be and how to treat it?

If it was bumble foot it would be on the bottom of the foot and there would be a black scab not a white oe. But if you want to take a small knife and puncture the lump and see if any puss comes out....

Well unfortunately the poor camera spent the past week out in the rain
hmm.png
but I'll try to get some picture tomorrow up maybe with a cell phone.
Let's say puss does come out, what would that indicate? I'm guessing something other than blood would come out based on the coloring

that would indicate some sort of infection. Pack the wound with neosporin after opening it and wrap it up. Continue doing that for a few days, and it shoould clear up.

Quote:
if there was a cut on the top of the foot the staph bacteria could have entered the top of the foot and because its not walking on the top of the feet the top may have come to a head instead of a black scab thats traditional with bumble foot.

you may want to soak the foot in warm water to soften the skin making it easier to puncture the wound.

My brahmas all have scaly leg mites (
1f631.png
) and one of them (a hen) has a whitish-pink bump on top of her foot between two toes. It's about the size of a peanut M&M. I put castor oil on her foot for the mites, by would it help the bump as well?

We were away for about 10 days and came back and our girl has a bump or blister atop her foot in between the claws. I don't think it's a Bumble. I'm going to treat it with epson salt baths and wrap it but would like to know if that's all she needs.

Back
Top Bottom