Bump over hen's eye

Grand-hen-ma

Songster
Apr 25, 2010
Hudson Florida
I have a question I hope someone can help with. One of my hens, Nacho, is healthy, eats well, drinks and poop's normally. She's a happy girl with bright, clear eyes.
I noticed last week that she has a bump, about the size of a small pea, over her eye. It feels hard and doesn't seem to be painful. It's between her eye and comb. I don't see any injury to the area either. Has anyone ever experienced this and does anyone know what it might be?

dawg53

Humble
Premium member
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
I had something similar happen with one of my Black Star hens a couple of years ago. She got pecked real hard by another hen just above her left eye and it swelled up to about a large pea size bump. I used a syringe with needle to puncture the bump. I had to go up underneath the eyelid and as soon as the needle punctured through the inner eyelid membrane, clear liquid squirted out. There was barely a trace of blood. I then gently squeezed any out any remaining fluid and put a dab of neosporin on it and then released her. No problems afterwards. It is similar to water on the knee and must be drawn out.
Wrap her in a towel if you decide to do this.