BUMPS ON FACE

skjoller97

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 14, 2014
My hen started out with a bump on her eye lid and I was going to see if it would just go away and now it has broken out on all her face and some of them look like scabs

I think your hen has a case of dry fowlpox! There is no cure for this highly contagious virus and it will usually run its course among your flock in a few months. Deaths are usually pretty rare. Survivors of the disease are immune. As a note, the virus is spread by mosquitoes, and the scabs that fall off are contagious for months. It'd probably be a good idea to vaccinate any additional chickens you bring onto your property.

I think your hen has a case of dry fowlpox! There is no cure for this highly contagious virus and it will usually run its course among your flock in a few months. Deaths are usually pretty rare. Survivors of the disease are immune. As a note, the virus is spread by mosquitoes, and the scabs that fall off are contagious for months. It'd probably be a good idea to vaccinate any additional chickens you bring onto your property. 

I have her quarentined should she stay like that and do I need to clean out the coop

Sorry for this condition
You need to isolate the infected birds, you should check the air ways and clean the air ways with cotton and iodine and remove any scabs that may blocking it. The scabs can be a platform for secondary Bacterial infection, so you can give 0.5gr/gallon Tetracycline for 3 days as prevention, you should follow with vitamins treatment.
The disease should pass after 2-4 weeks. The survivors will be immune.
Good lock
Benny
You also should control the flys and mosquito population near your coop!

Last edited:
quote name="Akrnaf2" url="/t/1025056/bumps-on-face#post_15912799"]Sorry for this condition
You need to isolate the infected birds, you should check the air ways and clean the air ways with cotton and iodine and remove any scabs that may blocking it. The scabs can be a platform for secondary Bacterial infection, so you can give 0.5gr/gallon Tetracycline for 3 days as prevention, you should follow with vitamins treatment.
The disease should pass after 2-4 weeks. The survivors will be immune.
Good lock
Benny
You also should control the flys and mosquito population near your coop![/quo
Will sulmet work? And how exactly do I clean her airway

The fowl pox can come in 2 ways, wet and dry. The wet form is more dangerous!
You should check her throat for scabs, open her beak and check with a flashlight if she have any scabs inside, scabs that can block her windpipe. You should put iodine on all her scabs. I don't familiar with the sulmet, but I have red about it it seems better then none.

Have you looked in her throat? Fowlpox comes in 2 different kinds, "dry" and "wet." The bumps on her face are the "dry" pox. If she has cheesy material in her throat, she also has the "wet" pox. As Benny said, wet pox is usually more harmful than the dry.
Since the virus is slow-spreading, and she is quarantined, you may be able to vaccinate the rest of your flock immediately to prevent their catching it. Since there isn't any cure for the disease, boosting your chickens' immune systems with probiotics/electrolytes and extra-clean, dry living conditions can help the virus pass quicker. Also make sure the scabs don't form any kind of secondary infection.

Back
Top Bottom